Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Things you dislike about your country.

Noei

Ah income tax.

My biggest gripe was when GST was introduced under John Howard (Aussie pm from 96-07) it was designed to eliminate a lot of smaller taxes e.g stamp duty and a couple of other bureaucratic taxes I can't recall.

Anyway that didn't happen, so on top of a 10% consumption tax we still had a fair bit of useless paperweight.

There's now been talk to increasing that to 15%.

Maybe we can play who gets taxed more?

There are plans to bring more taxes :o? Those taxaddicts really need to go away.

• Brohoof 1

My country, the UK is becoming socially 'lost' and it's people are losing their identity.

As a consequence I feel insecure living here. I don't have faith in the institutions here. I feel like I need to do something about it.

I hate that people literally as bigoted, ignorant, dumb, and hateful as Donald Trump can even be considered as a serious candidate to run the country.

While the U.S government sucks, I'd rather be in the U.S than anywhere in the world save for a few places. It may be bad, but it's good compared to many others.

I dislike how ignorant U.S citizens can be, also.

I hate the US public school system. The new common core system is completely F***ed up. I also hate how ignorant the general public is. The US probably has more stupid conservatives who are too blinded by their traditional beliefs to actually look at the facts than anywhere else in the world. I read the other day that there is a movement to stop women from texting while breast feeding. They think it creates a weak bond between the mother and child. Really? See how stupid that sounds? What about all the babies that are bottle fed? They turn out fine. But this isn't even out of the ordinary. People are freaking out about stupid sh** like this all the time without stopping to think about it. Come on people! There are more important things to worry about.

Sorry about the rant...

• Brohoof 1

I am unhappy with the citizens united SCOTUS decision.  With campaign monies from corporations now feeding congress its been virtually privatized.  I heavily dislike congress being so heavily influenced by special interests as opposed the interests of the people.  

An example is oil and coal subsidies that cover the heavy externalities of the industry.  The subsidies are misguided and there only because money gets pumped into congress

I live in the U.S.

• Marijuana is still illegal for the most part except for 4 states
  • Discrimination of any kind very much still exists
  • Everything has to have political bias
  • Economy still sucks
  • Common sense is gone.
  • Our public school system is garbage
Edited by Twisted Cyclone

I dislike how some of the people here like to rant about how bad it is, when it really is a fantastic country. It's taken for granted by many, and I think if they were to visit some other countries they would be surprised at the freedoms that are nonexistent elsewhere.

• Brohoof 2

Since I live in French Guiana and nopony knows where it is and even knew it existed, I hate the fact that there's so much crime in my town and thiefs. 

But In France I hate the manifestations they do for no good damn old reason... urgh France or the country of the strikes  :angry: 

• Brohoof 1

"People who work 40 hours a week do not deserve to be in poverty."

*Continues to take more than half the money from said people and hand it out to people who don't work at all*

Gotta love the American government.

I live in Canada...but admittedly, I don't know enough about the politics here to actually make a valid complaint.

I really wish we were kinder to the environment, though, for starters. We never hit our goals...And book prices! Those need to come down!

Also, this one has less to do with the country itself and more to do with the way its perceived, but...I wish other countries would stop discounting us entirely. Act as though we're so unimportant. It really hurts to hear that.

Since I live in French Guiana and nopony knows where it is and even knew it existed, I hate the fact that there's so much crime in my town and thiefs. 

But In France I hate the manifestations they do for no good damn old reason... urgh France or the country of the strikes  :angry: 

Not to mention all the racism in France. :( Descrimination a l'embauche, en particulier...

• 1 year later...

No body in my country even knows what My Little Pony is! On one hand, its a good thing since I don't need to hide the fact that I'm a brony, but still.... it gets a bit boring on you own.

With only a small exception like pistol clubs You aren't allowed to have guns in Australia :(

Another thing is that we have a lot of roads that are "NO 5 TONS AND OVER" which sucks because I want to have a road legal tank which would probably end up weighing like 30 or 40 tons -3-

Trigger warning

I live in the United States. There is so much wrong with this country that I can go on for hours.

First, check out the opening scene of the Newsroom, specifically starting at about 3:45: 

. This speaks a whole lot of truth for the United States of America.

Now, with that being said, here are my thoughts on why our country is not the greatest. Besides the fact we only lead the world in those who believe in angels, number of incarcerated citizens per capita, and defense spending... we have a lot wrong with our country. The biggest problem: capitalism. Our country runs heavily on the power of money. In fact, money can even influence government decisions. Just look at this year's elections. Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton. Both are in the top 1%. That's probably one of the main reasons they're in the main campaign, and no one sane like Bernie Sanders has made it. Jill Stein and Gary Johnson are also running, and are more sane than the two main ones... but let's face it, they'll never win. Our media is extremely biased, and so are our elections. They wouldn't let any third party win. They'll stick to either democrats or republicans (both of which are also corrupted parties.)

Donald Trump is a racist, sexist, violence-inducing douchebag who should not be running in the elections, especially since he violated the law by appointing Russians to spy on Hillary Clinton and try to get more info on her emails. Hillary Clinton is a shady flip-flop turd sandwich who will support whatever the corporations will "buy" her to support. Who knows what she'll do if elected? You don't hear of the crap Bill Clinton did behind the scenes. Why? The Clintons have excellent Public Relations, and they can easily hide things from the public (or at least convince you their actions are justified).

Let's go back to wealth. The top 0.7% of our country own 50% of America's wealth. Almost 50% of Americans are in poverty. Minimum wage still has not grown enough to keep up with inflation. We're approaching $20 TRILLION in national debt. The wage gap between genders is 0.77 cents on the dollar for women compared to men... and that's just for full-time caucasian individuals. The gap is even bigger if you account minorities.

Speaking of minorities, black individuals are up to 4 times more likely to be incarcerated for the same crimes they commit as white individuals. Almost half of those incarcerated are minor offenders (usually drug dealers). We have so few major offenders incercerated, such as murderers, rapists, and pedophiles... because our justice system makes it hard to convict such offenders (and they also don't want to put as much into those crimes). In fact, the chances of a rapist being incarcerated are so minute that on average a rapist isn't incarcerated until they have sexually assaulted 12 individuals.

Speaking of rapists, 1 in 4 women will be sexually assaulted in college. 1 in 6 women in the country have been sexually assaulted in their lives. Status often dictates how long rapists are convicted for, if they're even convicted at all. Just look at Brock Turner, who got such a small sentence for his crime because he was a white male with exceptional athletic skills... and because his dad made an argument that Brock was, to put it blunt, a weakling who can't handle the prison system. Human Trafficking is a major problem in our country. We don't delegate enough resources to crack down on human trafficking... leaving many victims trapped for several years in the system.

Public services, which should be a RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE, are not. Education and healthcare are the two biggest public services. Our country should be investing in these services rather than using them as a profitable business. In fact, we're one of the only developed nations without a stable universal healthcare system (apart from I think Mexico). If they invest in these services, we'd have more educated individuals for the workforce as well as more healthy individuals. What do you get with that? You get a stronger economy and a stronger workforce.

The police force has much to be desired. They too run on a profit business. Whatever will earn them the most and easiest money is what they'll go after. That's why you see police crack down on parking tickets, drug dealers, and other minor offenders more often than major offenders. They feel it's not worth the time, energy, and finances to invest in dealing with major offenses. Did you know many police stations have out of date rape kits?

In terms of progressive reform, our country lags. Racism, sexism, ableism, and classism exist strongly in our country. You would think as a developed nation that we would know better. But no. I'm not going to even go into statistics for these because there are just too many.

---

And THAT, my friend, is what I hate about my country.

Edited by Lovinity Hearts™
  • Brohoof 4

omigosh... i can't believe, there is a thread like this on here.

i mean you can write a whole book about things you dislike in your country.. and it'll be a very big book...

but if topic would be like - One thing, you dislike the most in your country, it'll be simpler.

well for me, it is that government pays too much attention to problems outside the country, than within it. that's a biggest mistake they made imo.

• Brohoof 2

I dislike how some of the people here like to rant about how bad it is, when it really is a fantastic country. It's taken for granted by many, and I think if they were to visit some other countries they would be surprised at the freedoms that are nonexistent elsewhere.

I suppose it's the US you're referring to, right? If that's the case, while you're absolutely right, it's far from being a perfect country. And being great overall, it isn't free of flaws, and if we aren't in a constant search of them, we'll never be even better 

Probably would have to say the amount of ignorant people. Everyone in my country will tell you how great America is yet they can't even name one member of the senate or even name half the states. I love my country but oh boy the lack of basic knowledge here is scary.

Im honestly pretty happy with Canada. I mean yeah, the electoral system could be better and id love to see the NDP or even the Conservatives kick out the Ontario liberals, but things arent too bad considering.

One thing I suppose im not a big fan of is our telecom system. I swear Bell and Rogers are in bed together to find the best way to screw their customers. Id love to see Google come up here with their fiber program and shake the hornets nest a little to see what happens.

Edited by Celtore

I hate the fact that there now exists a political party hellbent on destroying all evidence of our eeeeeeeevil colonial past, up to and including changing all the street names that feature important figures from that period...also known as the Dutch Golden Age where we were a global superpower. Fortunately, I don't think they'll ever make it into the government.