Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general What is your opinion on teenagers?

MysticShine

As a teen myself, teens can be fun, cool people. A lot of teens seem to have a ''You can't tell me what to do, mom!'' attitude, which I find quite cool or even sexy in some cases. Some teens though, can be really cringey, with their black emo hair and their piercings. I simply see teenagers as people, like you and me.

The whole, "You can't tell me what to do" attitude is an atrocious behavior. Though I'm sure we've all been guilty of it at least once in our lives, it's not an attitude I think one should find "cool" or "sexy."

It's an attitude of 100% disrespect and self-deception.

When I look at teenagers as a whole, this is exactly how I see them, because these types are the most loud, outspoken and obnoxious of each generation. Sadly, the well-tempered teens never get that much attention because they're not really 'newsworthy,' in that they live their lives peacefully and subtly, not trying to destroy the world.

As a soccer referee, I work with and officiate a lot of teenagers. Many of them are fine, but that's all based on what I see during the matches I ref.

I have some teen-aged Assistant Referees that show up early, know what they're doing, are attentive to the match and show they are personally invested in doing a good job.

Then I have some others that show up just before the game starts, missing their referee socks or patch, no watch, and are looking off in the distance or trying to sneak a peek at their phone at each dead ball. 

You can tell which ones have been taught how to be disciplined and have good work ethic.

I plan to be a teacher within the next few years, but I really, really hope I don't have to teach at a high school for too long; I need to teach at a college if I plan to keep my sanity over the years...

• Brohoof 2

I try and not judge a person based solely on their age group, but school teenagers around the 13-16 range have an unfortunate reputation of engaging in anti-social behavior. Not all of them, but a fair majority. Most of them not only lack discipline, but also seem to find entertainment in harassing others or just acting like jerks. Sometimes I wonder what goes through the head of a young guy who thinks the best way to kill time is to disrupt someone else's day. :dry:

Maybe it's peer pressure, maybe it's bad parenting, maybe it's just teenage hormones. Could even be a combination of all 3.

Let's be honest, you'll meet assholes of all ages throughout life. I guess teenagers just have it worse because they've left the period of childhood where everything was more or less done for them, to having a lot more responsibility put on their shoulders. Some handle that better than others.

• Brohoof 1

I don't feel like I really need to say anything about my opinion on other teenagers. But, I will talk from personal experience. As a teenager on the wide, wide internet, I have learned a lot. Other than gaining some maturity, I have found a few things as a venture through various internet communities.

For one,  I have noticed that most older people don't like teenagers. Now, I am not saying all, but I know this, and you know this. Just to prove my point, read the above posts! And its completely understandable.

I just think its good to keep in mind that the teenagers of will be the adults of tomorrow. If the older people show the younger hate, the trend will continue. I grew up with older people looking down on me, and now I can find myself looking down on younger people.

I guess it will always be this way. As humans, we will not always approve of one other's actions.

I have done some stupid things. I have said some regrettable stuff. I STILL do some stupid things. But its all part of growing up. I feel like if I had never found such wonderful internet communities, I would not act as I do today. I would still be some ignorant, silly child making penis jokes and annoying others on websites, to the point where others would look down apon me.

You know why? I took the "hate" (more like the reactions and comments of older users) and used it to change myself. I would look at what others said about me and other teenagers, and used those comments as advice to better myself. I saw how others acted and followed in their footsteps.

Haha, thanks to you for taking time to read my long "rant"! I really appreciate it. :D

Ok, I am going to break my little rule of not saying anything about other teenagers.

One little "pet peeve" of mine is when teenagers deny that they are "like other teenagers"

I.E. "I'm not like other teenagers! Other teenagers are dicks and disrespect everybody! Their (I know this is grammatically incorrect) SOOO annoying!"

If you feel the need to tell other people that you are different from other people, maybe, just MAYBE you aren't so different from them. I would love to take your word for it, but when I see somebody say that, It makes me assume a lesser maturity level.

You should prove you are different by acting different, not trying to convince others that you are.

I don't know. Maybe it's just me. Oh well.

The whole, "You can't tell me what to do" attitude is an atrocious behavior. Though I'm sure we've all been guilty of it at least once in our lives, it's not an attitude I think one should find "cool" or "sexy."

It's an attitude of 100% disrespect and self-deception.

When I look at teenagers as a whole, this is exactly how I see them, because these types are the most loud, outspoken and obnoxious of each generation. Sadly, the well-tempered teens never get that much attention because they're not really 'newsworthy,' in that they live their lives peacefully and subtly, not trying to destroy the world.

As a soccer referee, I work with and officiate a lot of teenagers. Many of them are fine, but that's all based on what I see during the matches I ref.

I have some teen-aged Assistant Referees that show up early, know what they're doing, are attentive to the match and show they are personally invested in doing a good job.

Then I have some others that show up just before the game starts, missing their referee socks or patch, no watch, and are looking off in the distance or trying to sneak a peek at their phone at each dead ball. 

You can tell which ones have been taught how to be disciplined and have good work ethic.

I plan to be a teacher within the next few years, but I really, really hope I don't have to teach at a high school for too long; I need to teach at a college if I plan to keep my sanity over the years...

Well sir, I do have a right to have an opinion, and so do you, but you did quite roast me. And now I feel to be hated on these forums for whoever sees my post here..

I, for one, am a teenager, and I must say, teenagers are... interesting. 

Of course, there are many, many, different types of teenagers, so it isn't really fair to mash them all into one group and judge them from that.

I do say, though, teens go through so much, so I believe it's a bit unfair to judge them to harshly. First job, first love, first kiss, first time driving, etc etc. Plus, how could we forget puberty? Although some will say they hate teenagers because they're so moody, there's an actual science explanation :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du8siPJ1ZKo

Well sir, I do have a right to have an opinion, and so do you, but you did quite roast me. And now I feel to be hated on these forums for whoever sees my post here..

Which is precisely why I said:

...Though I'm sure we've all been guilty of it at least once in our lives, it's not an attitude I think one should find "cool" or "sexy."

**bolded for emphasis**

Some may completely disagree with me on this point.

Sadly, this nasty behavior was most obviously displayed and used towards any and all adults while I lived in England. So many of the teenagers have had poor role models ("parents" living off the Dole, working just under the maximum hours so they can keep their benefits, sit at home drinking and watching the telly; kicking their kids out of the house rather than disciplining them and dealing with them like responsible parents would. Then those kids sit around outside in the streets heckling and harassing passerby just to get attention).

Thank god I haven't noticed this level of abhorrent behavior here in the US yet (not where I've lived or seen so far).

My little sister used to think that the "bad boys" in school were who she was attracted to and so all the guys she dated in high school were dirtbags and idiots with no respect for anyone. When she got to college, she actually somehow fell in love with the complete opposite: a really nice, thoughtful, super nerd. 'Twas very strange to see that turnaround.

Honestly, it comes down to the rebelliousness and immaturity of youth. Teens are stereotyped and trained to think that rebellion is cool, or that they have to do certain things to be remembered. Once you graduate though, unless you live in a vacuum, you likely won't see or talk to most of the people you knew in high school ever again...

Your goals and interests will adapt and adjust with time (or they usually do) and it all just comes with experience.

I was raised as the only son with 6 sisters, so I was trained rigorously on proper ways to treat girls and other people (so much to the point that I became more aloof and shy in high school and got along better with the teachers than I did most of my classmates).

I dislike teenagers...But I try to calm myself...Because I remember being hated on simply for being a teenager (god forbid I was born in 1994 and the elitist adults were born in 1950.)

(edited)

"Teenagers" is much too large of a category for me to make a judgement. Many where I grew up were spoiled brats, but I knew many exceptions. It's just a part of everyone's life and it doesn't define you as a person. They have some traits that seem to be unique to that age group. In general, teens seem to have more of an attitude that adults, but not everyone grows out of that so it's not really something I can pin to just teens.

Edited by El Duderino

Teenagers are just people like anybody else. It's not like they're an alien life form or anything. Sure, they have their problems and their ways of dealing, but don't we all. A lot of people talk about teen angst, but in truth angst is not an action but a re-action to what others (parents, teachers, friends, peers) set before them. 

Listen and treat them with respect, real respect and not just a facade, and in most cases they'll treat you in kind. 

• Brohoof 2

I'm one and I hate everything about this phase.

Teenhood is honestly overrated...But it goes by quicker than you think...But this is a good thing...Because those teens who think teenhood is the golden years of one's life are in for a rude awakening. Being an adult is quite nice.

Teenagers are just people like anybody else. It's not like they're an alien life form or anything. Sure, they have their problems and their ways of dealing, but don't we all. A lot of people talk about teen angst, but in truth angst is not an action but a re-action to what others (parents, teachers, friends, peers) set before them. 

Listen and treat them with respect, real respect and not just a facade, and in most cases they'll treat you in kind. 

Basically what Dreambiscuit said...I am sick and tired of society saying  they care about children/teens when they don't treat them with respect.

My mom was treated like some sort of hero because she didn't abort me, or let me starve...But she disrespected my feelings and acted as if I have no reason to be depressed just because I don't have bills, or taxes, or a job.

• Brohoof 1

It's kind of hard to generalize imo, but every teenager I've met has been pretty chill. Mainly because they're all so stressed out they just appear calm.

Well, I'm a teenager myself, but I'll go ahead and contribute to this post. I can understand some people's hatred of teenagers. I'm around other teens all day at high school, and they're some of the worst people I've met. Incredibly rude and disrespectful, many of them dependent on drugs/alcohol, dressing in tight/revealing clothing or baggy jeans and oversized t-shirts, completely rude and judgemental. I've also met some wonderful teenagers who aren't completely insane (I consider myself to be in this group). Overall, I don't think teenagers should be painted with such a broad brush, but a lot of them don't exactly represent the rest of us very well. You can even argue that there are much older people who act exactly the same way; some people are just idiotic morons, no matter what their age group.

• Brohoof 1

I'm not actually even sure about my opinion in this case.  :awuh:  Being a teenager myself I can't say a lot. My classmates and the people of my school in general are a huge crowd of different people and I can't just judge them by their appearances. But at least in my experience some of them act more maturely than others. I don't really think they're all the same because they're all their own kinds of individuals. Even though I'm pretty much neutral in this case, I do understand why some people can't stand teenagers and their antics. 

They suck... Wait I'm one :o

Yeah, I see a lot of people posting that they can't generalize the age group. And I agree. Do I have high hopes for this generation of young adults? No. This is because kids are growing up in schools and homes, where they are being made equal, and things are easily given than taken. Also, schools and most homes are more focused on kid's emotions rather than their grades. This may be because the parents had ruff times as a kid and didn't turn out successful (in their opinion), or they just didn't grow up in a studious household themselves...

Also, the promotion of violence, and how desensitized kids are to it is a little scary... This goes for other things, but video games are definitely a problem as well (in some ways at least).

There are so many things to mention, and I feel like I'm not getting my thoughts out right :/

Anyways, those are some of my thoughts... :P

• 3 years later...

I don’t mind being around with them actually. Never seen or met one that are annoying or angsty. They’re pretty cool to be around and easier to talk to than to an adult. When you’re talking to an adult you have to be politically correct most of the time. Where teenagers they don’t give a rat ass what you say and they would understand. I worked in retails with lots of teens so that’s how I’d know.

They're cool, fun, a little crazy and yeah I will admit stupid but isn't everyone that way when they start out in life? :P I'm in my last year of being a teenager.