Did you like it?  

232 users have voted

1. 1. Your opinion on the episode?

• I hated it! Burn it with dragon fire! >: (
    • I didn't care for it. Le sigh...
    • It was mediocre...
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT!!!!! <3

Spike: I don't know about you, but I've been getting more sick of people complaining about a lack of love for Spike as much as anything else.

I still complain sometimes when I do a marathon of early episodes and have Spike getting treated like a punching bag fresh in my mind. But I do agree with you and in fact I'd say the episodes after "Princess Spike" have given him a lot of respect and it's carried on through to this season. (Of course I could be forgetting something, lol)

Edited by Truffles
  • Brohoof 3

Different scenarios. Twilight was able to battle Tirek because she borrowed all of the AliTrio's magic. She doesn't have it anymore.

Still? she did battle Starlight hoof to hoof with bucking lazers!  there that right?

AS for the episode and reading some comments

I like how spike wasn't hit with the idiot stick his time around. So glad he got a good episode under his belt.  Yeah Twilight and Rarity didn't really need to be thier but really logically Twilight would go with him as his mother.

Ember..well predictable Father/teenage daughter archetype.  But still hilarous when she said 'pleas don't me talk about my feelings!" ahaha that a boy's line silly. jk    She nice  ugh okay how long until (Cenored) starts rolling in this time..ugh this fandom annoys me so much with shippings. a least it straight.

Overall the plot was eh..I feared they were going to write spike out of the show somehow but pleas that never happen. He attache ot twilight by the hip.

Good point. Best to let things run their course and gain a new ally than risk leaving Equestria having the dragons as an enemy instead of a friend.

I object, the real reason was they had ot have twilight in danger and thus idiot stick *whack* no use magic just herp derp plot demands I be helpless *wack*

Best episode of the season so far, granted it's still early but this hit a lot of good notes.

-World building: We learned about dragon politics (and God isn't that an odd phrase? XD) I particularly liked how the position of Dragon Lord is not hereditary but must be earned by standards set by the current Lord. For that matter, Torch was actually a really cool character. At first appearing kind of bull headed but ultimately isn't beyond reason or totally unfair. Not to mention his design was badass!

"You may not be big . . . but you are strong." (DAMN that writing!)

I mean compared to that dragon Spike found in the cave, Torch is a saint. Speaking of which . . .

-Spike: I don't know about you, but I've been getting more sick of people complaining about a lack of love for Spike as much as anything else. Not only did this episode deliver for those people but it really showed how Spike has matured. When Equestria was in danger at the prospect of a more violent Dragon Lord, at NO prompting and without a MOMENT's hesitation, Spike was ready to take the position and sacrifice his entire life to protect the home and friends that raised him. He also was clearly annoyed by Garble, but what was his last solution when facing him?

"RUUUUUUUUUUUN!"

Now Spike is standing up to the bastard and not taking his shit!

Spike is finally standing up to that lame-brain teen dragon, and he was more than willing to risk his life to ensure that Equestria would not have the dragons lay siege to it and destroy everything they hold dear in the process. Thanks to Spike, Equestria and the dragons are now allies, and if some wicked monster like Lord Tirek or Queen Chrysalis rears their ugly mug again, Ember and the dragons are going to make sure they never set foot into Equestria again.

Torched Bug Biscuits anyone? Or how about some well done Centaur Hamburgers?

• Brohoof 2

Spike is finally standing up to that lame-brain teen dragon, and he was more than willing to risk his life to ensure that Equestria would not have the dragons lay siege to it and destroy everything they hold dear in the process. Thanks to Spike, Equestria and the dragons are now allies, and if some wicked monster like Lord Tirek or Queen Chrysalis rears their ugly mug again, Ember and the dragons are going to make sure they never set foot into Equestria again.

Torched Bug Biscuits anyone? Or how about some well done Centaur Hamburgers?

"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?"

~Abraham Lincoln

I ship EmberSpike like UPS!

Really halfassedly?

For me, the episode was a very mixed bag. On one hand, Spike finally seems to be growing out of his bumblefbee stereotype, and the variety of dragon designs was very nice to look at.

On the downside.... it was really, really, really predictable. Of course they would team up, of course Spike would give up the throne in favor of his friends, and of course Ember would start learning the meaning of friendship. It was, beat by beat, a story most of us have seen at least a dozen times over in other shows.

The Garble slapstick was fun as hell tho.

• Brohoof 1

well sh*t, that was freaking goddamn AWESOME! yeah, sure, the story was predictable, but let's be honest: it didn't quite matter. this episode did what a spike-episode should do: advance his character and make him look good, and not like a total fraud. when I think about it, mlp is not about unexpected or original stories. we've seen most of these stories before in some way, but it's the character and the storytelling that make it special.

I really loved seeing the dragons, and I think I might like this "explore equestria"-theme more than I expected to. the dragon-lord was my favourite character during this episode. I'd love to see how a meeting between him and prince rutherford would go :3 amber, while her dialoges were pretty clishe, managed to entertain me and keep me interested in her, and I'd really love to see her in upcoming episodes and find out how she's using her power. maybe gargal (or whatever this idiots name was) gets to be the royal guy-hugger? coming to speak of him: he was the most (and kinda only) boring thing about this episode. his character is so one-noted and clishe that nothing he ever does is even in the least bit entertaining. well, except for hugging people that is.

overall, I liked that episode. it might even become one of my favourites since it's so unique and special (because, y'know, dragons and spike and location and stuff). I'm thrilled to see the dragons again, and I hope they'll not be forgotten.

• Brohoof 3

This episode is a sequel to a "Dragon Quest" episode, to see Spike is going to wield that Gauntlet of Fire and save Amber. I say it's the best Spike episode for today! :twi:

Quite interesting, that they seem to accept the tiniest dragon as their leader. The biggest dragon also was actually reasonable and not a wild beast.

Other big dragons were missing in this episode, though. The Yaks were more threatening except for this One Man Army, called Torch. XD

I dont like that they are right in your face with friendship. It feels like they are trying to spread friendship like missionaries.

Be grateful that Twilight was only cornered before she suffered alicorn syndrome and got beaten up by Garble :P

I might have missed something, but where were all the other dragons we saw in Dragon Quest?

sig-4470585.sig-4470330.532814image446.j

That was one thing I felt was odd as well about this episode. All the dragons involved in the gauntlet seemed small and young. What about the bigger ones like in your picture or like the one in Dragonshy? It kind of distracted from this episode. While I'm sure there are some mature and massive dragons who likely have some kind of obsession (like guarding/hoarding a treasure and having no interest in giving it up to become Dragon Lord) at least a few of them should have shown up.

Edited by JH24
  • Brohoof 2

I dont like that they are right in your face with friendship. It feels like they are trying to spread friendship like missionaries.

That might be valuable in case there's a big battle looming in the future, and Equestria will need all the allies they can get in Prince Rutherford and his yaks, Gilda and the griffons, and now Ember and the dragons.

• Brohoof 1

I might have missed something, but where were all the other dragons we saw in Dragon Quest?

sig-4470330.532814image446.jpg

I kind of headcanon that the Dragonlord mainly has his leadership extend to dragons that are too young or weak to have a hoard yet that they stick to; Basically that once a dragon gets a hoard and "settles down" they pretty much stop dealing with the outside world and ignore the authority of any other dragon but themselves so long as they just stick to their hoard.

So the only dragons that are really out and about and that the dragonlord deals with are younger ones.

• Brohoof 2

Good episode, my favorite one by Joanna Lewis and Kristine Songco. Spike was great in it, I just wish that Twilight and Rarity could have done something useful.

They did.  They accompanied their friend to a scary place he didn't want to go, and were supportive. 

Edited by Foliha
  • Brohoof 2

That might be valuable in case there's a big battle looming in the future, and Equestria will need all the allies they can get in Prince Rutherford and his yaks, Gilda and the griffons, and now Ember and the dragons.

too bad a massive battle would never happen on Tv being well TV-Y.  I mean that sombra future had slap fighting for crying out loud.

alhtough that be so epic seeing a huge dark cloud over her horrizen, but this cloud is actually a massive army of changlings. over across another field horns are heard going off as griffins, buffaloo, yaks, and dragons charge over the hill.

• Brohoof 2

F*ck yeah!  Spike and the Goblet I mean Gauntlet of Fire!

Awesome one.  Loved it.  I haven't been super excited by season 5 until today.  I finally got my first knock-outta-the-park episode.  :D

So much great stuff to talk about here.  What first?  Well, let's start with the obvious.  Spike is finally getting the treatment he deserves.  We got a whole spotlight of mature Spike!  He's had multiple spotlights where the plot is basically Spike acts like a greedy idiot, and the lesson is don't act like a greedy idiot.  And then there was Spike At Your Service, where he inexplicably became a bumbling, incompetent klutz.  *Shudders*.  But that great, mature Spike has always been in there, and now he's really coming out.  His characterization in The Crystalling was superb, and this episode was phenomenal.  He was selfless and mature, and apparently, even willing to live in the Dragonlands as lord in order to protect Equestria, if that's what it came to.  I'm just so glad that we got a great Spike episode without that shot right before the commercial break where Spike is greedily rubbing his claws together and plotting how to use his position for personal gain.  (We've had at least two of those.)

I love the world building, of course.  Dragonlands!  Holy crap!  :pinkie::squee:   Ember was a great character as well.  I really loved her, and I really hope we get to see more of her in the future.  I hope she comes to Equestria to help with some crisis.  In fact, I hope that during some epic story, we see multiple other races coming to Equestria's aid, with appearances from Gilda and Ember.  (Movie, nudge nudge, wink wink.)

I also liked that Twilight observed "The Prime Directive" by staying hidden as much as possible and letting events take their course.

About time someone mentioned this. Everyone is all why didn't Twilight blast Garble? Because that would be interfering in someone else's political affairs. She's a Princess of Equestria. If the dragons found out, things could have taken a turn for the worse.

Holy smokes, yes.  That is a such a great point.  Obviously, as I LOVE to point out, practically every problem in every episode could be instantly solved in Twilight remembered that she can use teleportation and telekinesis.  You always have to overlook this point so that there can actually be stories.  Case in point--Twilight could have easily just lifted Spike across the water to the cave with telekinesis.  Given the events with the Ursa minor, we know that that would be so easy for her, she'd barely have to think about it.  Or, she could have just teleported him directly to the scepter at just about any given point.  Or she could have done about a hundred other things to ensure Spike's victory and sabotage the others.  But this time, instead of the Roger Rabbit handcuff scene, we actually have a perfectly valid reason why she didn't interfere.  In fact, as a Princess of Equestria, it was her responsibility not to interfere, and if she had interfered, then I fear this entire forum would be a battlefield of the Twilight Hate Club right now.  I'm tickled to death that she observed responsible foreign policy.  I'm also glad that they jokingly pointed out how she and Rarity just appeared alongside Ember and Spike at the end of the gauntlet.  She used her teleportation to watch, but not to interfere.  Perfect.

Good moral, as usual.

The best part of this episode by far was tea with the Sisters.  Just a few days ago I literally wished for this exact thing to happen.  I think the writers read my post.  I am jumping for joy that they had an appearance by the sisters that wasn't plot demanded.  Just visiting with Twi.  So freaking awesome.  Tea with Twi & Tia is now canon.  Also, is it just me, or does Luna's voice sound different this season?  Which is strange, because Rarity's doesn't.  Not a big deal, though.

As the review rolls on, we come to the Airing of Grievances.  Actually, every complaint I have is minor, and can mostly be explained away with the problem of time constraints.  I wish we could have seen a good bit of Twi's visit with the Sisters.  I wanted to hear their conversation, but this episode was so crammed full that they just couldn't spare any time for it.  At least it happened.  An omission of good stuff that's just left implied is far better than including something awful.  I'm fairly content to just imagine what they talked about.  I'm just so glad they did.  Y'know, talk, that is.  I'm also bummed that we didn't see any of the journey to the Dragonlands.  That was a bit jarring.  In fact, I wasn't even positive we were in the Dragonlands for a second.  I really wish they could have taken 20 seconds to show them in transit, with a brief exchange, wondering what the Dragonland will be like.  They take a train for....like...hours to get to Canterlot, but they just appear across the Celestial Sea instantly.  Oh well.  I guess the same thing happened with Griffonstone, huh?  And that's north of the Dragonlands, on the same continent.  They showed them on a train for a bit, but that was still in Equestria.  We still didn't see them crossing the sea.  Again, it's just a problem of time constraints.  I also wish that they could have developed Ember a bit more, and taken a little more time to show her internal conflicts, and deciding to accept friendship, and so on.  Again, time constraints.  Actually, this episode was easily a huge enough story for a two-parter.  But y'know, with so many rushed villain reforms and quick resolutions and things, I have to say that I really think nearly every episode of this show is big enough for a two-parter.  (Okay, maybe not, like, friggin Show Stoppers, but most.)  I think the pacing in Seasons 1 & 2 felt more relaxed, and as it's gone on, the writers have really expanded, but they still have to struggle to fit these great stories into 20 minutes.  And they do as good a job as they can, really.  I wish that this show could be an hour long (~40 min of actual programming), like any nighttime drama.  I think that FIM is easily big enough in scope and lore to support hour long episodes.  I know that that just isn't in the cards for a kid's cartoon, and they probably figure kids won't have the patience, but I'd be curious to put that to the test.  I'd be willing to bet that double the time would go over huge with their target audience.  Anyway, I'm rambling now.

I was also a bit annoyed that most of the dragons were essentially pretty dorky, especially Lord Torch.  I was really hoping for Smaug, Parthurnaax, or Alduin.  Instead, he was just Iron Will.  I wanted at least some of the dragons, particularly the Lord, to be a bit more noble and graceful.  I was actually quite disappointed by that, but I was willing to forget it pretty quickly because I loved Ember so much.  She was more what I always wanted dragons on this show to be.  Graceful, beautiful, noble.  And even though she wasn't big, she stood tall anyway, which was the point.  And I loved when she tackled Garble.  That was pretty awesome.

I guess that's it.  Aside from the filth of Princess Turbulence Cardioid, this season has been steadily knocking off my wishlist pretty well.

• Good Spike characterization  check
  • World building  check
  • Moar dragons   check
  • Good CMC development  check
  • Tea with Twi & Tia   that's a big check

Now we need those Zecora and Celestia spotlights.  C'mon Jayson and Meghan, I know you're reading this....

• Brohoof 1

That was a amazing! And a new ship has sailed!

Talk about character development. And this is one of the most powerful lessons of all. No matter how small you are, you can do big things, that can make a positive difference to everyone around you. 

Can we also appreciate Spike as a character now? He's been really on point the past season and a half, for the most part. This episode:

-There's no arguing against his heroism here, risking his life for Equestria.. again.

-He didn't let it go to his head this time around.

-He did a pretty good job keeping Twilight and Rarity's presence a secret.

-Saved Ember from drowning.

-Saved Garble, knowing that wouldn't change anything between them.

-Made a break through to Ember and saved her a couple more times in the episode.

-Saved Rarity.

-Got Equestria a brand new ally.

-And I can't stress this enough, he wasn't incompetent. I mean, obviously he didn't have the same capabilities of the other dragons, but they didn't make him ridiculously clumsy or unintelligent. And, a bonus point for the episode, they didn't have to make other characters incompetent either.

Between this, and how he's been a great moral compass for Starlight and even managed to resist the Crystal Empire's flattery in order to keep her on track.. not to mention reminding Twilight how Celestia taught her..

Spike has not disappointed. He's been great, and they didn't have to sacrifice his comedic side, he's still got his wit and great remarks. I said it and I'll say it again, I am really impressed!

Edited by Glike
  • Brohoof 2

F*ck yeah!  Spike and the Goblet I mean Gauntlet of Fire!

Awesome one.  Loved it.  I haven't been super excited by season 5 until today.  I finally got my first knock-outta-the-park episode.  :D

So much great stuff to talk about here.  What first?  Well, let's start with the obvious.  Spike is finally getting the treatment he deserves.  We got a whole spotlight of mature Spike!  He's had multiple spotlights where the plot is basically Spike acts like a greedy idiot, and the lesson is don't act like a greedy idiot.  And then there was Spike At Your Service, where he inexplicably became a bumbling, incompetent klutz.  *Shudders*.  But that great, mature Spike has always been in there, and now he's really coming out.  His characterization in The Crystalling was superb, and this episode was phenomenal.  He was selfless and mature, and apparently, even willing to live in the Dragonlands as lord in order to protect Equestria, if that's what it came to.  I'm just so glad that we got a great Spike episode without that shot right before the commercial break where Spike is greedily rubbing his claws together and plotting how to use his position for personal gain.  (We've had at least two of those.)

I love the world building, of course.  Dragonlands!  Holy crap!  :pinkie::squee:   Ember was a great character as well.  I really loved her, and I really hope we get to see more of her in the future.  I hope she comes to Equestria to help with some crisis.  In fact, I hope that during some epic story, we see multiple other races coming to Equestria's aid, with appearances from Gilda and Ember.  (Movie, nudge nudge, wink wink.)

Holy smokes, yes.  That is a such a great point.  Obviously, as I LOVE to point out, practically every problem in every episode could be instantly solved in Twilight remembered that she can use teleportation and telekinesis.  You always have to overlook this point so that there can actually be stories.  Case in point--Twilight could have easily just lifted Spike across the water to the cave with telekinesis.  Given the events with the Ursa minor, we know that that would be so easy for her, she'd barely have to think about it.  Or, she could have just teleported him directly to the scepter at just about any given point.  Or she could have done about a hundred other things to ensure Spike's victory and sabotage the others.  But this time, instead of the Roger Rabbit handcuff scene, we actually have a perfectly valid reason why she didn't interfere.  In fact, as a Princess of Equestria, it was her responsibility not to interfere, and if she had interfered, then I fear this entire forum would be a battlefield of the Twilight Hate Club right now.  I'm tickled to death that she observed responsible foreign policy.  I'm also glad that they jokingly pointed out how she and Rarity just appeared alongside Ember and Spike at the end of the gauntlet.  She used her teleportation to watch, but not to interfere.  Perfect.

Good moral, as usual.

The best part of this episode by far was tea with the Sisters.  Just a few days ago I literally wished for this exact thing to happen.  I think the writers read my post.  I am jumping for joy that they had an appearance by the sisters that wasn't plot demanded.  Just visiting with Twi.  So freaking awesome.  Tea with Twi & Tia is now canon.  Also, is it just me, or does Luna's voice sound different this season?  Which is strange, because Rarity's doesn't.  Not a big deal, though.

As the review rolls on, we come to the Airing of Grievances.  Actually, every complaint I have is minor, and can mostly be explained away with the problem of time constraints.  I wish we could have seen a good bit of Twi's visit with the Sisters.  I wanted to hear their conversation, but this episode was so crammed full that they just couldn't spare any time for it.  At least it happened.  An omission of good stuff that's just left implied is far better than including something awful.  I'm fairly content to just imagine what they talked about.  I'm just so glad they did.  Y'know, talk, that is.  I'm also bummed that we didn't see any of the journey to the Dragonlands.  That was a bit jarring.  In fact, I wasn't even positive we were in the Dragonlands for a second.  I really wish they could have taken 20 seconds to show them in transit, with a brief exchange, wondering what the Dragonland will be like.  They take a train for....like...hours to get to Canterlot, but they just appear across the Celestial Sea instantly.  Oh well.  I guess the same thing happened with Griffonstone, huh?  And that's north of the Dragonlands, on the same continent.  They showed them on a train for a bit, but that was still in Equestria.  We still didn't see them crossing the sea.  Again, it's just a problem of time constraints.  I also wish that they could have developed Ember a bit more, and taken a little more time to show her internal conflicts, and deciding to accept friendship, and so on.  Again, time constraints.  Actually, this episode was easily a huge enough story for a two-parter.  But y'know, with so many rushed villain reforms and quick resolutions and things, I have to say that I really think nearly every episode of this show is big enough for a two-parter.  (Okay, maybe not, like, friggin Show Stoppers, but most.)  I think the pacing in Seasons 1 & 2 felt more relaxed, and as it's gone on, the writers have really expanded, but they still have to struggle to fit these great stories into 20 minutes.  And they do as good a job as they can, really.  I wish that this show could be an hour long (~40 min of actual programming), like any nighttime drama.  I think that FIM is easily big enough in scope and lore to support hour long episodes.  I know that that just isn't in the cards for a kid's cartoon, and they probably figure kids won't have the patience, but I'd be curious to put that to the test.  I'd be willing to bet that double the time would go over huge with their target audience.  Anyway, I'm rambling now.

I was also a bit annoyed that most of the dragons were essentially pretty dorky, especially Lord Torch.  I was really hoping for Smaug, Parthurnaax, or Alduin.  Instead, he was just Iron Will.  I wanted at least some of the dragons, particularly the Lord, to be a bit more noble and graceful.  I was actually quite disappointed by that, but I was willing to forget it pretty quickly because I loved Ember so much.  She was more what I always wanted dragons on this show to be.  Graceful, beautiful, noble.  And even though she wasn't big, she stood tall anyway, which was the point.  And I loved when she tackled Garble.  That was pretty awesome.

I guess that's it.  Aside from the filth of Princess Turbulence Cardioid, this season has been steadily knocking off my wishlist pretty well.

• Good Spike characterization  check
  • World building  check
  • Moar dragons   check
  • Good CMC development  check
  • Tea with Twi & Tia   that's a big check

Now we need those Zecora and Celestia spotlights.  C'mon Jayson and Meghan, I know you're reading this....

It was nice to see Celestia and Luna again so soon after the premiere, and I am glad we got to see a little more world-building with the dragons as well, especially now that Spike has made a powerful new ally for Equestria in Princess Ember and the dragons. That is awesome. Very, very, VERY, awesome indeed!

• Brohoof 1

They did.  They accompanied their fried to a scary place he didn't want to go, and were supportive. 

By that, I meant I wished they could have done something to help Spike besides cheer him on. Maybe it's just me.

By that, I meant I wished they could have done something to help Spike besides cheer him on. Maybe it's just me.

I can see why that'd be something someone would want.

Although, throughout the episode Spike was doing surprisingly well. The only times he needed help I'd say was during his swim and the battle with Garble. But he was saving another dragon's life while he was swimming, so they obviously wouldn't have stopped him from doing that, and as soon as they wanted to help him fight Garble, Ember instantly came to his side. They didn't really have much of a time frame to do anything.

And besides those two parts, him and Ember were handling things pretty darn well if I do say so myself.

• Brohoof 1

YEah, Twi's comment about Equestria gaining a powerful ally in the dragons might be of use in a future big battle against a godly bad guy

Still, this episode sounded promising, the most out of this season so far, but I was skeptical because it was a Spike episode, and the poor guy has a bad track of underwhelming at best episodes. I'm TOTALLY glad this was NOT the case, I would say this is the best episode of the season at the time even 

• Brohoof 1