Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Has an episode of MLP ever helped you in real life?

Altastrofae

I can't really give specifics about how MLP:FIM has helped me, But I can say that I have had long moments of reflection on my past choices and how I could have handled a situation better.

S6  Ep. 16 helped me to gather the courage apologize to somepony. ( I was not a very good friend to them)

• Brohoof 2

The lessons haven't, no. However the fact that my kids and I watch it and are fans together has definitely had a positive impact by the very nature of sharing an interest with them. 

• Brohoof 2

I would have to say Flutter Brutter on overcoming one's fear of failure. It helped me to learn to try my best at something even if I fail. If I do fail at something, I can always work hard and try again, instead of giving up and not trying at all.

Edited by Dynamo Pad
  • Brohoof 3

It is a show, so not really. Maybe help with my anxiety and other things, but not anything major. It is a silly pony show, so it probably won't be life saving. It doesn't make it worse, but it is made to be entertaining and (*cough*... buy their toys*cough*) cute, not life changing. :)

• Brohoof 1

most of the Stuff it teaches is self explanatory and obvious.

Yeah, it is that.

The show portray good morals and lessons but let's be honest here, we should already known them already.

And yeah, I agree.

However, I've always been of the mind that even adults (and at times, perhaps especially adults) could use some reminding of even the simplest of life lessons.  There's not one shred of information, in terms of morals, in the show that I didn't already know, but I still find it very useful and inspiring.  There are a lot of obvious lessons that we all know, but often have trouble practicing or really believing.  Cynicism beats you down.  Often times in our lives we hear the same old life lessons and morals, but they can just as often be dismissed as mere tripe if delivered poorly, of if we don't have much faith in, or connection to, the deliverer of the message.  FIM inspires me, and I take the messages more to heart.  When something connects with you in a particular way, like FIM, it can make you actually believe old lessons and inspire you to make a change.  That's what it is to me.

There's more to it that's really difficult to explain.  I think....it's like.....it's not so much the messages in the actual show that inspire me, but rather the people making the show.  I feel like somebody cared enough about trying to make the world a better place that they went to the effort to make this beautiful vision of how the world should be.  The fact that there are people who care enough to try makes me feel inspired.  I know that the ponies aren't real, but the people who made them are.  I see something very real in them.  I see people within them.  Somebody made these ponies, which means that somebody feels the way they do.  Dynamic character traits don't come out of thin air.  They come from people who relate to them in some way.  People made these ponies (and continue developing them) because they shared something with them, and they wanted to share that with the world.  That means that there are people who believe in this stuff.  They believe in the values of the show, and believe we should make the world more like Equestria.  That gives vindication to us--it's not just some random, bogus make-believe that not worth taking to heart.  I think it makes me feel a bit like: if the people who made this show believe in the values of its world, maybe we can, too.  (Perhaps that sounds just a tad like Sarah Conner.)  So, in a sense, every FIM episode has helped me in real life.  In this sort of way, I've actually been greatly inspired and impacted by many video games as well.  I feel like there's more I want to articulate, but I'm not sure how.  I hope this at least made a little sense.

• Brohoof 5

i have to say, this show got me out of a depression. its lovely characters and beautiful voices, colorful scenes and great messages!

i havent enjoyed a show like that sence i was a kid watching Fraggle Rock.

it also lead me here, and now i am opening up, socialy and emotionaly... its still too early to know how that will turn out.

but so far My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic has been a wonderous joy.

i am glad it exists!

Of course it has! Testing Testing 1,2,3 is in my top 5 all time favorite episodes in the entire series. And it's not because it stars best pony (even though that does help as well  :wub:). The main takeaway was that not everyone learns things the same, and that we should tailor our teaching methods to the individual rather than to the masses. 

I teach piano part time and this lesson really hit home with me. My students have different strengths and weaknesses, so I can't teach them all the exact same way. I've had to explore other styles of teaching to suit their individual needs in order to bring the best out of them. Needless to say, I wouldn't be as good as I am now if it weren't for Twilight and the gang having an open mind and teaching Dashie in a way that she could understand  :P

• Brohoof 2

However, I've always been of the mind that even adults (and at times, perhaps especially adults) could use some reminding of even the simplest of life lessons. There's not one shred of information, in terms of morals, in the show that I didn't already know, but I still find it very useful and inspiring. There are a lot of obvious lessons that we all know, but often have trouble practicing or really believing. Cynicism beats you down. Often times in our lives we hear the same old life lessons and morals, but they can just as often be dismissed as mere tripe if delivered poorly, of if we don't have much faith in, or connection to, the deliverer of the message. FIM inspires me, and I take the messages more to heart. When something connects with you in a particular way, like FIM, it can make you actually believe old lessons and inspire you to make a change. That's what it is to me.

There's more to it that's really difficult to explain. I think....it's like.....it's not so much the messages in the actual show that inspire me, but rather the people making the show. I feel like somebody cared enough about trying to make the world a better place that they went to the effort to make this beautiful vision of how the world should be. The fact that there are people who care enough to try makes me feel inspired. I know that the ponies aren't real, but the people who made them are. I see something very real in them. I see people within them. Somebody made these ponies, which means that somebody feels the way they do. Dynamic character traits don't come out of thin air. They come from people who relate to them in some way. People made these ponies (and continue developing them) because they shared something with them, and they wanted to share that with the world. That means that there are people who believe in this stuff. They believe in the values of the show, and believe we should make the world more like Equestria. That gives vindication to us--it's not just some random, bogus make-believe that not worth taking to heart. I think it makes me feel a bit like: if the people who made this show believe in the values of its world, maybe we can, too. (Perhaps that sounds just a tad like Sarah Conner.) So, in a sense, every FIM episode has helped me in real life. In this sort of way, I've actually been greatly inspired and impacted by many video games as well. I feel like there's more I want to articulate, but I'm not sure how. I hope this at least made a little sense.

Dude! You just perfectly captured what I could not put into words. Also you seem very enthusiastic about changing the world for the better and inspiring others. Have you ever considered becoming an activist?

Dude! You just perfectly captured what I could not put into words. Also you seem very enthusiastic about changing the world for the better and inspiring others. Have you ever considered becoming an activist?

Thanks.  Uh, no; I'm not really sure how to go about that or what I could do.  I'm not really in a good position in my life to be able to do that, anyway.  But I'd like to think that, in my own small way, I do something to change the world.

None of the lessons in the show are new to me, but they do indeed encourage me to live by them a little more. Thanks to Flutter Brutter, I've realized how important it is to be independent, and to work out your problems on your own, for example. I already knew I should live my life that way, but seeing possible consequences on MLP made me more aware of it.