Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is there a character that you don't understand why everyone likes?

starrymiss

Outside of the obvious answers being the background ponies, I have to say Marble Pie.  She is just so painfully boring.  There is nothing to her outside of looking cute.  If she had a less appealing character design, I highly doubt she would be anywhere near as popular as she is.  Plus accidentally suggesting incest in Hearthsbreakers also played a hand in turning me off from her.

• Brohoof 2

Sunset Shimmer (from Rainbow Rocks to Legend of Everfree): She was so boring in those movies. A character who is always sympathetic and right about everything is not interesting to me

Alicorn Twilight: People say that she hasn't changed, but I don't see that. She's become much less interesting and much more boring.

Pinkie (after season 5): Nowadays, she is rarely funny and screeches every line. Her voice was so soothing and nice in seasons 1-3, but now she's so obnoxious.

Tirek: He's such a bland villain. All he does is act powerfully and destroy stuff.

• Brohoof 2

I don't like Rainbow Dash very much because I don't think we would get along very well IRL. She's athletic and extroverted while I'm socially anxious to the point of being paranoid and I don't like exercise at all. I'd much rather be caring for animals like Fluttershy or learning new facts like Twilight Sparkle. :squee:

• Brohoof 2

On 9/6/2018 at 1:18 PM, chili said:

Nobody likes Stygian. :bea: He was that one time thing that just... Didn't do much. It also solved too quickly.

On 9/6/2018 at 1:15 PM, Gachin said:

Stygian; never undestood why people like him, even though I don't think everyone likes him

As a big Stygian fan myself, I can try to address this..

I first heard his name in relation to the finale, seeing his name appear in tags on images in derpibooru, as well as tag names in the comics. I knew he had something to do with the Pony of Shadows, but I knew nothing else about him. For months I had been wondering. Then I saw the episode, and I loved him. Turns out he WAS the Pony of Shadows!... yet at the same time, not.

Something drew me to his feeling of rejection and inferiority, his story. When you do something and get spruned by those you know, it just fills you with spite. I've had those feelings, and it's not a good feeling. I really came to like him, good design, good voice, really the only problem was why didn't you tell them why you took their objects? But it didn't seem to matter, the others wanted none of it.

This like of him that I have got bigger when I read the Legends of Magic comics.

The first six issues were stories about the pillars, framed as Sunburst researching them. The next six issues were all about Stygian, and his quest to find the ponies to defeat the Sirens from invading their village, in the form of a book that Sunburst reads that Stygian puts at his doorstep.

Like in the show, his forte was being the strategist and somewhat of the leader. But when they meet Starswirl, he naturally takes the leadership role, and slowly, Stygian starts to get displaced, feeling that he's starting to feel worth anything anymore. When they fight the Sirens, Stygian is off to the side, but he wishes he could join them and be something. The line Stygian keeps using throughout the story is, "I am no hero.", because like it's been made apparent, he doesn't have any powerful abilites like the others. So all the comics add to the feeling of the Pony of Shadows encounter.

Now I get why people didn't like the Pony of Shadows, as he didnt leave as big an impression as others like Chrysalis. But I think Stygian himself is quite cool!

Edited by Toastypk

• 1 year later...

Twilight; Basically, she's the opposite of me, so long ago I stopped looking for good things in her because there aren't any.
Spike; I don't understand what his goal or place in the series is, in the first season he seemed to have a social life, now he is only the servant of the little princess of friendship.

Fluttershy; She is better now, but in the first seasons, it is unpleasant. Who wants to be with someone so shy and embarrassing?

Applejack; Don't get me wrong, I don't hate her, I just think her character is flat and nothing interesting, there's nothing more to describe her than the words `` family, work and honesty ''

Some background characters; There are many fans who are OBSESSED with background characters like DJ Pony (or whatever it is called) or Doctor Hooves, I can understand that they like Derpy, LyraBon and others, but they do not seem interesting at all to ask that the series put them as main characters instead of mane six.

Pinkie's sisters; I do not understand why everyone likes any of them, any of the three, Maud at least became more pleasant in the episodes where she shares a few moments with Starlight, but I hate her relationship with Pinkie, I just do not understand.

Cutie Mark Crusaders; their plot was completely boring, they are too, they spent the whole series complaining about not getting what they wanted, I tried to make them like me, but they just don't.

Derpy (Equestria Girls): A lot of Derpy screen time for Equestria Girls, and all the reactors on Youtube I have seen always keep screaming "DERPY!". But I can't see why the human Derpy is cute. Don't get me wrong, but if she was the only one Derpy, and the pony version never existed, I would feel like most people would not scream her name.

Also, if you were Derpy, going to school and having people screaming "DERPY!" with cute voices at you, how would you feel? I would feel ashamed and possibly "bullied". It is just wrong in my opinion to call out someone that is visually different. It might just be me though! It is a difficult subject!

• Brohoof 4

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 2018-09-16 at 10:58 AM, TokyoAbsinthe said:

I don't like Rainbow Dash very much because I don't think we would get along very well IRL. She's athletic and extroverted while I'm socially anxious to the point of being paranoid and I don't like exercise at all. I'd much rather be caring for animals like Fluttershy or learning new facts like Twilight Sparkle. :squee:

Same here.

Starlight Glimmer- She was cool as a villain and I see why people liked her then, but after that I just couldn’t really get into her at all, or see the appeal.  Also hard to forget when she almost willfully let Trixie kill herself by being eaten.    

Reformed Discord-  Always just behaved as a jerk IMO.   

That’s all I can think of.  Every other character I don’t particularly like I can see why others do. 

Rainbow Dash: Bruh I just low key find her to be pretty annoying at times. I used to be obsessed with her, but I grew up.

Pinkie Pie: I just can't really stand her screechiness most of the time. Way to hyperactive for  me.

Derpy: Idk I just think she's a little but overrated. She's a cute pony and all that, I just- idk man.

And most of the mane 6 tbh. LMAO. (Excluding Fluttershy since she's the only one I can truly relate to)

Rarity. Everyone seems to love her to bits, but to me, not only she's annoying and whiny, but she's also quite manipulative to spike, a thing that i personally dislike, and a lot. She's a massive drama queen, and i barely see any "generosity" in her personality. If only she wasn't like this, i would definitely like her way more.

Starlight on the other hoof is my absolute favourite, and i don't get why so many hate her:(

• Brohoof 1

I feel like Rainbow Dash is overrated. She isn’t a BAD character but she’s argued with others and done other not so smart things that have made her annoying in some episodes. I feel like she gets a little more praise than she deserves.

• Brohoof 2

Here's plenty that I can think of:

-Starlight Glimmer: She used be an interesting villian, but after she got reformed, she became Twilight 2.0, and I just can't stand her when she appeared on screen. Thanks Josh Haber (not really).

-Discord: I do like Discord as a really great and clever villian, but after he got redeemed (thanks McCarthy), his charm and charisma wears off and I didn't like him that much. The later seasons made me hate him even more.

-Maud Pie: Nothing against her, but I felt people treat her as a comedy god, when really, she's not all that interesting. I don't understand why the show used Maud more than any other sister.

• Brohoof 2

A big one for me is Thorax. There are a lot of people who seem to really like him, but I was never really a fan. He sort of just appeared to be a rare non-evil changeling, and that seemed like it. Then his design changed to be one of the worst in the series during the season 6 finale, and he was put into the role of leader despite not knowing much about leadership. His character never interested and it felt like he didn't serve much of a purpose.

A lesser example is Ember. I don't dislike her character or anything, but she doesn't really standout or interest me in any way. Like Thorax, she was just there to be a leader, without much actual character or purpose.

• Brohoof 2

18 minutes ago, Landi said:

A big one for me is Thorax. There are a lot of people who seem to really like him, but I was never really a fan. He sort of just appeared to be a rare non-evil changeling, and that seemed like it. Then his design changed to be one of the worst in the series during the season 6 finale, and he was put into the role of leader despite not knowing much about leadership. His character never interested and it felt like he didn't serve much of a purpose.

A lesser example is Ember. I don't dislike her character or anything, but she doesn't really standout or interest me in any way. Like Thorax, she was just there to be a leader, without much actual character or purpose.

Yeah, I didn't care for Thorax either. He just boring and bland. Same thing with Ember. They were only there because....I don't know, the writers didn't give them much of a purpose.

(I'm still pissed off that the show had to reformed the Changelings)

• Brohoof 2