Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music What are your thoughts on Death Metal?

Mach33

Ehh. I'm not a fan. The music itself isn't terrible but I can't stand the vocals and some of the artists seem to have a weird obsession with lyrics about bodily dismemberment.

I'm not too big on metal in general but when I do listen I'm more into progressive metal, symphonic metal, the occasional metalcore artist, stuff like that.

• Brohoof 2

Here are some death metal albums that I've listened from a list of best death metal albums for widening my musical landscape. I usually stick to heavy metal and thrash, but I of course got curious about death metal.

• I like the first Morbid Angel album Altars of Madness because it sounds good, crisp and clear. I like the first two Autopsy albums, Severed Survival and Mental Funeral, unlike most extreme metal bands, they sound like still having connection to hard rock roots.
  • I thought Carcass's Heartwork was very influential to post 90s bands when I first heard it, and I got where the reputation came from. It's not my cup of tea, but it's very widely appealing that I can enjoy.
  • I like Dismember's first album Like an Everflowing Stream because they didn't lost the sense of groove unlike some death metal bands. Entombed's Left Hand Path was not as much as enjoyable as Dismember first, but it grew on me and now they are equally good for me.
  • Gojira (are they death metal?) is very good, I've listened to From Mars to Sirius, it feels like pure energy and aggression, they definitely have their own style. I used to not give enough credit for Gojira, but after listening to them more, I think they are very good, probably one of the best contemporary metal bands.
  • Infernal Majesty's None Shall Defy is a thrash metal album, but it feels like predicting death metal that will come few years later. Check it out if you're curious.
  • Nocturnus's The Key was a very pleasant and easy listening for me, considering my experience with death metal was even more limited back then. It almost feels like a thrash metal album, it's simple and technical at the same time and enjoyable.
  • Opeth's Blackwater Park was just an ok experience at first to be honest. I didn't like the modern mish-mash of hard compressed modern 2000s mastering, but after a few listens more, I think they are one of the most unique bands of all time. They surprisingly sound like 70s hard rock/progressive rock bands, and besides the growling, they aren't that bat shit crazy for a death metal band. I think they are very interesting and good. (I've been to their concert once)
  • Possessed's Seven Churches is a thrash metal album, but many people give them credit for the first death metal band. I love this album. It's simple but brutal and catchy.
  • Slaughter (Canada) is also considered as a proto death metal band, I think they are thrash/punk band with crazy ass performance. I prefer the demo Surrender of Die! to Strappado.
  • Early Sepultura is interesting because they started as Death/Black metal and became thrash (similar to Sodom). They are enjoyable like some low budget B horror movies.
  • Is Slipknot's Iowa considered death metal? I don't know but I like it, I think it could have been a bit shorter by cutting some songs though.
  • Protector's (Germany) Golem is a thrash metal album with death sprinkled on it, which I liked, but when I listened to Urm the Mad and The Shedding of Skin, it was not my taste.
  • Atheist's Unquestionable Presence was fresh. They were proggy and versatile. I like it.
  • Bolt Thwoer's The 4th Crusade was a unique experience. Bolt Thrower seems to have their own approach, style, formula and it works. It was a very riff based songs and was very groovy.
  • Incantation's Onward to Golgotha was too much for my taste, too bat shit crazy and too mushy.
  • Cryptopsy's None So Vile was even more bat shit crazy, it's ridiculous. It's too much and lacks groove for my taste. They might be one of the most brutal bands, but that is not what I'm looking for.
  • Sarcófago's INRI was dark and brutal, I get the charm of it, but not so much for me.
  • Cannibal Corpse was just not that memorable for me to be honest.
  • At the Gates's Slaughter of the Soul felt very influential, I get that many 2000s band took inspirations from it. But that's that, it's decent but not so much for me. And I'm not a fan of the bands that got influenced by this.
  • Death was not that much for me either. They might just be the most celebrated death metal band of all time, if not, most celebrated metal band of all time. Their production style became a new standard for future bands, but it's just not my style. I prefer the first album Scream Bloody Gore than others, but that might be because I'm an old ass metalhead.
  • Merciless's The Awakening felt like a harsh thrash metal album. Enjoyable.
  • Pungent Stench's Been Caught Buttering was ridiculous. But entertaining.
  • Demlich's Nespithe felt like the collection of first reversed loop of Altars of Madness's intro. The riffs are like normal riffs reversed and has a twisted groove that I never heard anywhere else.
  • Gorguts's Obscura was fresh, but the harsh modern production was a turn off. But the bold proggy avant-garde approach was good.
  • Pestilence's Malleus Malleficarum was also like a more harsh thrash metal. Kinda like it but I'd just listen to Kreator's Pleasure to Kill.

Death metal has it's bad reputations and some shortcomings. But I think it's one of the heaviest form of music with many potential that can be almost anything. There are many types of death metal just like there are many types of heavy metal or just many types of music. I think even if you're not a fan, it's worth giving a try and you might find something you like because there's that many.

But I also get that "they all sound the same" argument. It's true to a certain extent to be honest.

Edited by Sepul-Coloratura
  • Brohoof 2

It's great and reminds me of my high school years, sitting in the parking lot blasting death metal so loudly that I'm sure the classrooms could hear it usually I would actually do this while waiting for friends so yes you had people looking and probably appreciating the music too. Though personally, in regards to being a fan although I've listened to a lot of them but honestly never really had a favorite band, lamb of God, cannibal corpse I don't know just random ones honestly it was that time where you would pretty much listen to everything recommended to you on youtube so the variety of songs was so random. Personally I love it, though I just love metal in general.

• Brohoof 2

I don't know anything about Death Metal in particular, but I do know that I'm not fond of the growling/screaming vocals in Metal in general, to the point that it completely turns me off. But if you enjoy that, great. It's just not for me.

• Brohoof 1

I’m not really into death metal, my limits is heavy metal. Death and black metal some if most, don’t have much melody or rhythm to it. I used to be into as a high schooler as I was trying many genres of rock during that time. But I grew out of it completely when I realize it was lacking these things I’ve mentioned.

• Brohoof 2

Straight up death metal? I respect the skill and effort involved, but not my thing. Too messy, unrefined and not a fan of the subject matter. Graphic horror for the sake of it.                                  

Melodic death metal? Now that's my jam. More refined. More experimentation. More diverse themes. It's almost like more extreme power metal or more aggressive thrash. 

Arch enemy, Soilwork, Amon Amarth, Insomnium, Children Of Bodom, At The Gates, Lutharo. Lots of good stuff out there. 

• Brohoof 2

3 hours ago, Le Trotteur Sauvage said:

How can I simply put my feeling into words...?
It's dope.

A French pony who always like teasing my "morbid"  taste likes Death metal?  hah! who wouldn't thought!? 

1 hour ago, Le Trotteur Sauvage said:

The thing is, you're not metal enough.

I have plenty of irons to keep me up and going Like this thank you very much :proud:

D7FC4EBC-A60B-4892-AD79-9326137A8E8B.gif.269456dea7134df7b6e8bfe3d34fa23d.gif

17 minutes ago, Le Trotteur Sauvage said:

This will always make me laugh

Why do I feel not surprise that this is something you would watch on YouTube?:laugh:

I don’t hate it but it’s not a genre I listen to often. I only have a select few songs of this genre that I enjoy. One of my friends adores this music and sings it so I always joke with him saying: “Oh my God, you have vocal cords too? You should totally scream into a microphone to prove it!”