Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Toys Я Us scrapping 'Boys' and 'Girls' labeling for toys

Nas

http://www.toynews-online.biz/news/read/toys-r-us-to-drop-boys-and-girls-labelling/040859

According to that article, Toys Я Us will be getting rid of the gender labeling on their toys, as a part of the Let Toys Be Toys campaign many toy stores are taking part in. Possibly FiM and the fandom had something to do with this? I think this is a pretty big deal, especially for bronies out there like myself who feel a tad uncomfortable walking into aisles covered in pink.

Edited by NASCARFAN160
  • Brohoof 47

Well, we're currently living in a world where gender stereotypes are trying to be bucked by children's media, which makes sense, considering that gay marriage is becoming accepted in more places and that either gender can take upon either role in a relationship or family. (You have no idea how many children's picture books portray Daddy with an apron and Mommy going out and making a six figure income.) It takes all kinds of people to create a society, and at the rate we're going, we're not supposed to be bogged down by gender stereotypes like we once were. Maybe the brony fandom had a part in this from the perspective of Toys R Us, but when you look at society as a whole, the idea of bronies really isn't that new or provocative...it's more of the idea that what the media considers to be inherently feminine or masculine can actually be enjoyed and cherished by either. Our world is changing, and these stereotypes are becoming less and less relevant. It's not a matter of "if," it's "when," and according to this, the when starts right now.

So I say they should give themselves a pat on the back for encouraging children to find enjoyment in whatever they please.

• Brohoof 11

I approve of this.

Seriously, I think this is actually really cool.  Good on Toys R Us.  Speaking of which, I might take a trip there tomorrow...for my, uh, kids...that I...don't have.  Yeah.

• Brohoof 2

Haha, that's awesome! A step forward for the society  :)

But if we bronies has anything to do with it... I don't know. It's hard to say. Maybe, but it's certainly not the only reason.

• Brohoof 5

Society is taking some small steps, and getting rid of the gender roles is a step forward. Basically, I can't say that we had anything to do with it. I can say that it is a big step.

• Brohoof 4

I doubt this fandom had anything to do with it. More likely it's in response to groups who criticize the labels as promoting "gender roles" and things of that sort.

About the same kinds of groups that caused this bit of bizarreness.

That doesn't even make sense. I'm trying to wrap my head around the logic taking place. Even in a homosexual relationship both parties are technically something. Both men are dads, both women are moms. Hell, you want to bring people with gender identity issues into this they're what ever they identify as.

As for gender separations with toys,  I can kinda see it. As someone who's dad gave the most memorable "G. I Joe is just Barbie for boys" speech I've heard(it involved a vivid description of Barbie with hair down to her butt packing a M-60 Machine Gun) We didn't exactly have a strict "boys get this, girls get this" mentality in my house.   

Edited by Shoboni
  • Brohoof 2

I think this is amazing and wish a lot of more places would do things like this to their toy aisles. I have always hated certain toys have certain gender placements in the store, and seeing mothers and fathers not let their children in them just because of their gender. I have seen little girls going into the Transformers section and trying to get an action figures, but then hear mothers saying "Wouldn't you rather have a Barbie or a dress instead?". And when the children said no certain parents would get frustrated or mad at the kids.

Little steps like this may eventually solve problems like this, and make more children happier and more open about their genders or just what shows or toys they like. Some little boys may feel embarrassed for liking My Little Pony, but if they go into an aisle that is not covered in pink they may feel more comfortable with getting the toy and telling their parents and friends they like the show.

Edited by The Handmaid
  • Brohoof 5

OH GOD YES! Thank you, Toys R Us! While I'm a girl, and somehow that makes it socially acceptable to shop in both sections, and I don't buy toys anymore, this is actually a very large step in the right direction. I hate the whole gender conspiracy. If you're wondering what I'm talking about, here's a few examples.

Girls make sandwiches for boys. It can never be vice-versa.

Boys can never wear pink, purple, or pastel colors.

Girls can't watch action or horror movies.

Boys can't watch romance or MLP.

Boys' and girls' toys/clothes etc. must be kept separate.

• Brohoof 4

I'm kind of doubting that the fandom had something to do with this, but nonetheless this is good news. Definitely a step in the right direction for society. I always disliked gender labeling and am glad that they are doing away with it.

I have never been to Toys R Us in my life, but I might plan a trip there sometime. I guess I better start saving up some cash now. :)

The fact that society will always label us and everything around us, makes this somewhat pointless, but a step in the right direction. Now if only people would stop thinking guys shouldn't like ponies...

It's a step I suppose, but whether I can define it as "good" or "bad" is up for debate. I hear lots of talk about "gender stereotypes" (which I can understand to an extent), but is there a possibility that we're reading into this a little too far? I have a hard time imagining a retail chain owner sitting in a corporate office musing to himself on the idea of gender roles.

Black-suit-and-tie-guy: "You know, I bet we could promote gender stereotypes and hinder the progress of society if I label toys as 'girls' and 'boys'."

Underling: "Yes yes, that sounds like a brilliant plan! Perhaps we can upset society by this ploy!"

Seriously?

I think this is a much more plausible scenario:

Black-suit-and-tie-guy: "Hmm, according to our recent purchase statistics, boys tend to buy 'X' toys, and girls tend to buy 'Y' toys. To improve customer satisfaction and make things easier for them, we're going to help sort them into their respective groups."

Underling: "Great idea boss! Hopefully this will make things smoother for our customers."

Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather keep those sections. It was handy to have when I needed to quickly run and grab a birthday present at the last minute. Look for the word "Boys", and I'd be directed to 95% of the toys in the store that said birthday boy would enjoy using.

Edited by CloudFyre

This is great :D!

There is nothing that tells anyone what they should like ><!

It shouldn't matter what your fav colour is or your fav toy :P, I mean pink used to be a boy thing!

Edited by Sundew
  • Brohoof 5

This is fantastic news. Although I live across the pond, it doesn't alter the huge impact this change in policy is. If given and sent to the right media, then this message of gender-neutrality may force other main toy store conglomerates like FAO Schwartz and Toys R Us in other countries to pay attention, research, and possibly follow suit.

The fact of the matter is that while categorizing toys by gender market makes it more "convenient" for shoppers and brand names, it psychologically reinforces gender roles, stereotypes, and sexism in the toys, brands, and overall toy market. Over time, we have seen and realized how much gender roles not only stigmatized society, but also harm it by dividing genders. With this change in policy, you set a standard to families, including parents, by forcing them to review products based on their overall objective quality — to name a few, material; production; care for the littlest details; psychological messages — rather than expected enforcement of gender conformation and roles. There are many ways to be feminine, masculine, or in-between, and it's important for every generation, including our future ones, to comprehend that. Toys R Us UK knows this and laid down what should hopefully be the golden standard of toys.

If I ever have a kid, I would want him or her to play with as many good toys as possible and be exposed to them — this includes old Thomas trains, Chatty Cathy dolls, Barbie dolls, action figures, new generation and old generation, etc. I want my kids to know that's it's just as okay to play with a product "marketed to girls," "marketed to boys," and "marketed to anyone," period. Give me any factually GOOD product, and I'm good.

Now, did the brony community help influence it? I doubt the brony community was exclusively or mostly responsible for Toys R Us UK's change in policy, but don't be so quick to dismiss it entirely, either. The brony community, other products like Hasbro's Easy Bake Oven, societal influences like same-sex-marriage legalization (France and England recently legalized same-sex marriage, for example) and the LGBT altogether, and advocacy groups like Let Toys Be Toys (the one linked in the OP) have been in the news over the past several years for its gender-inclusive, non-societal-conforming messages and reminders that anyone can enjoy a good product or message regardless of audience. If anything, there's a chance the brony community might've lent a very minute (yet equally important, nonetheless) influence to Toys R Us UK.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 6

I wonder if its more of a layout change for the stores.  They would arrange sections more so for age than gender.  Mostlikley  still keeping each franchise all together.   So probly not much of a change.  You are still gonna see MLP next to other toys of the same target demographic. 

Actually may be a pretty ingenious move.  All those familys with more than one child.  So you may end up seeing MLP across from Transformers.  

Anyway, my rambling.  I'm bassing alot of this on speculation as I didnt feel like reserching it right now.   I thinks its a marketing strategy change more so than a fight gender steriotype change.  

Omg this is such a good new!

The society, before, had trouble when their boy, for exemple, was playing with a doll. And now they want to get rid of this, since you are yourself, you should play with the toys you like.

Imagine you are a girl, and you like cars. But you are forced to play with dolls. That's not really nice right?

• Brohoof 1

This may not help very much. Many people will never change how they think just because of a toy store's decision, but it is a step. In the right direction. Maybe in a few generations, no body will even think of this gender thing, as having had this rightness their whole life.

Good for Toys R Us. Their doing something very good for the world.

Of course, when my mom found out, she freaked. She thinks that their supporting gays and all that. She think this'll make children grow up as gays or whatever. She wants to give them a piece of her mind and boycott them.

She decided this in two minutes.

I stand by my opinion.

I, too, consider this a victory in society. For too long have I, as well as others, avoided the girl's section with a passion, purely because of the colours associated with the gender that are splashed along the floor. Well done Toys R Us, you may have just set a precedent.

LOL.  There was some woman making a rude post on that article about how inconvenient this would be for her because her girls "know they like girls' toys," and she doesn't want to go through a bunch of "goofy boy toys" to find the dolls.  I left her a nice little reply. :b

original comment

I'm sorry, stupid. Your kid wants a toy of a different gender, then so be it. But keep the crap separate. As a mom of 3 girls, I sure as hell do not want, nor will I, rifle through a bunch of goofy boys toys just to get what I need. Its inconvenient NOT to have sections. What next, power tools in the sewing section? Give me a break. Not EVERYTHING has to be changed just to try an bring about a new "Politically Correctness."

my comment

Oh, I'm sorry, but you are being incredibly unreasonable and rude.

I have no problem with walking down the aisle and seeing that it is full of pink stuff and ponies or walking down another aisle and seeing it full of superheroes and cars, BUT it is also incredibly inconvenient that these aisles are on separate ends of the store, and the kids who are with me want to look at both. Since both aisles contain humanoid and animal figures, it makes a ton of logical sense for them to be placed right next to each other, not be separated by the board games, electronic toys, and bicycles. They also don't necessarily need to be labeled as "boys" or "girls" toys, because they're all going to be played with by the same group of children anyway.

Now get down off of your high horse and ride a freaking My Little Pony like BatMan! :b

Edited by Rainshine
  • Brohoof 1