Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would you rather speak every language or master every instrument?

Pone

As much as I love music, and that especially refers to the orchestra (<3), I would prefer to speak evert language out there. As someone who loves geography and various cultures, I'd love to have the ability to speak various local dialects and converse with people outside of the English language.

Hell, it'd help me hopefully to see a Bayern Munich game in Germany, haha.

• Brohoof 1

tough choice. I would like to speak every language, but I don't see myself talking with that many foreigners. Although I do want to travel so....

But on the other hand I'd like to play every instrument. Just to entertain myself or others.

Instruments. No question. I know being able to speak multiple languages would probably be a lot more useful for jobs, but I just love music so much <3

Edited by LatinoChurro

I'd rather speak every language. While I may love music, I'd rather go for something that's practical and interesting. Plus, I can confuse people by speaking in a different language. :P

Speak every language. My job possibilities would expand tremendously, and in turn this would open up more chances for job-related travel. Plus I'd be able to watch anything without subtitles, which would be quite useful considering how often I watch foreign works.

Instruments would be lost on me. I'm not the performing type, and I'm not convinced that having technical mastery would translate to artistic mastery. I doubt I'd be able to compose anything worth a damn.

Edited by Rudes

If I were to stay in the USA, I'd choose instrument. Most people around here speak English or Spanish. Chinese and Japanese are sort of around, Italian is something you barely see, and who the hell even speaks German around here?

Anywhere else, I'd likely speak languages. I need to know how to talk to people when I need to D:

Language without a doubt. That would be incredibly useful. There are so many employers that would be falling all over themselves to get you on board and it would likely involve travel abroad. I could travel as an assistant to someone important and just ride along with them and be indispensable. I could work as a translator for tourists in Japan.

• Brohoof 1

Do I have to choose just one?
Can't I compromise by learning some languages and some instruments?

There are only a few languages I care about, and only a few instruments I care about. And I feel like if you know enough, you can figure out the rest. If you know enough about writing and composing music for a few instruments, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out or pick up on other instruments. The same might be true for language. If you know enough different languages, you might be able to figure out other related languages relatively quickly.

I'm not saying that enough experience can help you comprehend the root of all languages or anything like that. I'm just saying some things should be pretty quick to figure out. If I was a master of electric, acoustic, and bass guitars, banjos, and other similar stringed instruments, how hard would it be for me to pick up a Ukelele and figure out how to play it? Or, if I've mastered Chinese, Cantonese Korean, and similar languages, how hard would it be to pick up on the Japanese language?

I would master every instrument, because then I could pull some awesome shit like do a one-man band and record a professional grade album with numerous instruments, but all parts played by me. Just recorded separately and put together. It'd be more fun to have a band with other people, but it'd just be cool to be able to do something like that.

I wouldn't choose languages due to how it'd be relatively simple to find a translator, grab a dictionary or find a program or an online service to overcome any language barriers when trying to communicate with someone.

• Brohoof 1

Languages! Heck yeah. It's much more useful, really. You'd be able to speak to anyone around the world. I'm assuming you'd know dead languages, which could help scientists out. That'd be awesome. Plus, job opportunities!

I'm seeing some good arguments for each side, but I'd go with instruments hands down.  I've always wanted to be able to play instruments and perform.  I want to do my own renditions of all my favorite video game songs, like some of these brilliant youtubers you see.