Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Games you can always go back to

Kyoshi Frost Wolf

With gaming comes games. I am sure you all knew that BUT, some games age better than others. Some games, even despite aging not so well, can be timeless. They are games that we can always go back to, regardless of how old it is or even if it might have some outdated aspects. 

Let's share our personal favorites among these! What are some games that YOU can always go back to and enjoy?

One I have been thinking about recently is Ocarina of Time. That is a game that is completely timeless for me. It always manages to give me a feeling of adventure that many games nowadays cannot match. 

940514fb3d14fc40200dd1405e6e3f63d6550176

Dynasty Warriors 4 is another example but it is different. I know that the game has not aged particularly well and it lacks so many features from the sequels, yet there is something about it that makes me enjoy it any time I play it. Could be nostalgia since it was my first DW title but either way, I always enjoy playing it.

dynastywarriors4_xboxbox.jpg

• Brohoof 3

I always find myself going back to the first 6 Megaman X games, especially since I'm both gotten a lot better at them and the fact that they're relatively short games.

MGS1-3 and A Link to the Past obvs

As far as recent games go, I keep coming back to Smash 3DS and Transformers Devastation a lot

• Brohoof 3

Worms. Worms all the way.

Doesnt Madder if Worms 1,2,3 or 4, even Worms Pinball is a Game i could play over and over again. :squee:

Another game series would be the Jak and Daxter Series, the Rayman Series, the Rachet and Clank Series and Metal Arms.

This Games never get old for me.

Okay, unless i play them for way to long.

Also some Mario Games, like Super Mario Bros 3, Two Player - One Player Mode, ( meaning, i choose Two Player, but still play alone, so that Mario and Luigi can clear the Worlds together ) and Super Mario World.

Also Probably Mario Party 2. ( its the only Mario Party game i ever played )

Oh, and Gun. Gun is also very good.  :fluttershy:

• Brohoof 4

Hmmm....I'd have to say I agree with Ocarina of Time, but I think many people feel that way to be honest lol, but I would also have to include Majora's Mask in there as well, for I almost find myself loving that game more than Ocarina sometimes.

I also can always go back to playing Wind Waker as well.

Aside from those Zelda titles though, I'd have to say that I my go to games that I love from the past would have to be:

.Hack (the original four games)

61rxvrCyCYL._SX385_.jpg

Okami (PS2)

250px-OkamiNTSCcoverFinal.jpg

Psychonauts (PS2)

250px-Psychonautsbox.png

and also the Resident Evil games. :)

gamecube.jpg

• Brohoof 6

The first Wario Land game, Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, Megaman Battle Network 3 + 5 and Legend of Dragoon are all games I end up coming back to at one point or another. These games defined my childhood and ever after beating them 3-4 times I still enjoy playing them years later. 

• Brohoof 1

Super Mario Bros. 1 and 3, Super-C, Castlevania 1 and 2 (Simon's Quest), Mega Man 2 and 3...  You see I'm trying not to list every title in a franchise. xD  A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time, where Zelda is concerned; though I'm one of those relatively few who has especial fondness for The Adventure of Link.  There are a number of SHMUPS I'd be glad to just pick up now and again.  Dammit!  This topic reminds me of the cartridge games I don't have anymore. ; _ ;

• Brohoof 3

I have many games I go back to. Here are a few of them.

-Bad News Baseball (NES)

-Donkey Kong Country (SNES)

-Dragon Age Origins (PS 3)

-any Pokemon game for the gameboy

-Fallout 3 & Vegas (PS 3)

-Elder Scrolls 4 & 5 (PS 3)

-Final Fantasy 9 (PS One)

• Brohoof 2

My wife is here and she probably already knows, but:

chronotrigger-sfc.jpg

I mean there are several others, but this is my favorite game of all time and one I have played multiple times. I have played Chrono Trigger on every platform it was released on, and I believe I have completed it like 17 times now.

My first Zelda game and one of my original games period.

wp-1-1920x1080.jpg

Thing is, there are games that I'm fond of and I think are good, but I couldn't really bring myself to just pick up and play again. With Wind Waker, not only could I just pick it back up, I could fully commit myself to the quest. I won't simply extol why this is good, but I will say why I think it can tickle my nostalgia in such a way that I never get tired of it, ironically, it's the part most people hate; the Great Sea.

I grew up on an island, Long Beach Island specifically. (No not "Long Island" that's in New York, L.B.I. is in New Jersey.) Some of my best memories of family, childhood, and home were inextricably linked to the sea and that life. So Link going off on a sea epic, just being able to see some faint glimmer off in the distance and being able to say "I want to go there" and being able to and find something unique is still a feeling that resonates with me.

More recent fair . . .

Metal-Gear-Rising-Revengeance-Logo.jpg

This one's a little harder to explain, but every time I say I'm going to play just one level from it, it's never just one level. Sometimes it's a single more level sometimes it's a whole other play through. Now, it could be that it's short, too short in my mind. I want more of it and playing it ad nauseum might be scratching an itch I didn't know I had. This itself could probably be diagnosed as both a martial artist IRL with a particular interest in swordplay and a transhumanist, the game has appeal to two major interests of mine that are often disparate and otherwise unconnected.

Then again . . . it could just be the best video game soundtrack since Sonic Adventure 2 (which also is a game I could play again and again.)

Xenoblade Chronicles. Running around that world is one of the greatest joys in gaming if you ask me... :wub:

RE4's also always been a nice go to, and I feel the Souls games will be that way for me as well down the line. :)

And of course jumping into a match of Smash Bros. is never a problem when I feel like it. ;)

I have been finding myself going back to Need For Speed: Most Wanted because I love the free roam in racing games mixed with the objective game play. 

Need-for-Speed-Most-Wanted-2012_US_ESRB_

Otherwise, the game(s) that have always been my go to games have been all of the games in the Halo franchise. I normally start with Halo: Combat Evolved, mostly for nostalgia purposes, but I would probably have to say that my single favorite game from the franchise has to be Halo Reach. Unless I can say Master Chief Collection which is a compilation of all the Halo games, then ya, Reach is probably my favorite. 

Halo_-_Combat_Evolved_(XBox_version_-_bo

Halo-_Reach_box_art.png

I'd have to say:

-Streets of Rage (especially 1 and 2, but also 3)

-Final Fantasy IX

-Halo: Reach

-Pokemon Red and Yellow

-Left 4 Dead 2

-Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

-Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3

These are definitely the main ones, but are by far not the only ones.

- Any Pokemon game. Seriously, any of them. Especially once you start using ROM randomizers, the replay value is immense.

'

- Minecraft, especially after a long break from it. The modding scene changes so rapidly that the game can change drastically after just a few months to a year. Jumping from 1.4.7 to 1.7.10 felt like learning how to play all over again, especially with all of the mods that have come and gone.

- rFactor, a racing sim from the mid-00s. Quite old but still holds its own against modern sims like Assetto Corsa; the sheer amount and scope of the mods available is dizzying. The possible combinations of cars and tracks are pretty much endless. Some of the largest mods have had nearly a decade of work put into them by dozens of modders; some are still being worked on even now.

Edited by ArDee
  • Brohoof 1

The video games that I can always go back to are:

- The Kingdom Hearts series

- Pokemon Diamond, Pearl and Platinum

- Devil May Cry 3 and 4

- Naruto Ultimate Ninja 3

- Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

- Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

- Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker

- The Jak and Daxter series

- The Sly Cooper series

• Brohoof 1

WarCraft 3 is on the top of my timeless games list. It's the first game I install whenever I do a clean setup of Windows. :D I may not play it 24/7, but I always find some time every year to give it another go.

Other games that I go back to are most Command & Conquer games (especially Red Alert 2), Serious Sam, particularly the First & Second Encounters, StarCraft 2 and Crash Bandicoot 1-3.