Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Do men ever face sexism and double standards?

AlicornSpell

Men certainly face both sexism and double standards. For example, the court system is much more lenient when it comes to women.     

2 minutes ago, AlicornSpell said:

If they do, then why don't they complain about it like how woman do?

They do, just casually mention the feminism movement and you'll have no shortage of people complaining about sexism against men.

• Brohoof 6

They do, here are some examples from my experience:

“You don’t know how to fix this? But you’re a man, you’re supposed to know technical stuff!”
“You don’t like cars? But all boys like cars! What’s wrong with you?”
“Why don’t you offer your bus seat to a lady? You’re a man, you can stand [even though you waited in the line way longer than her, and she’s not old or handicapped]”.
“Watching My Little Pony?!! You can’t be called a man anymore!”

However, all the above is only “mild” sexism, if I may use this phrasing. Another general example is "You want to be a kindergarten teacher? But this is for females only! What are you, a pedophile?" 

I personally rarely complain about this, and realize that women can face much worse things and much more frequently. But yeah, man do face sexism and double standards.

• Brohoof 7

Some men do speak out their opinions, but here are some reasons maybe why they don't voice it so much:

1. The Feminism movements are more popular and speak over their opinions.

2. They're just men and keep quiet.

3. They probably don't think it's too much of a big deal.

• Brohoof 2

Yes. I have seen it time and time again. I know there’s at least one feminist that wants to eliminate the word ‘man’ from vocabulary. I know she’s not speaking for every feminist but deleting words is something Orwell predicted in 1984, which, by the way, was meant to be a warning. Not a how to guide.

• Brohoof 4

Short answer yes. 

2 hours ago, AlicornSpell said:

If they do, then why don't they complain about it like how woman do?

Because it's not as socially acceptable for men to complain as for women. Men are more or less expected to endure their problems without saying anything. 

• Brohoof 5

Let's see
Men have 1 I say again 1 shelter for domestic abuse in the US despite men suffering DV at a near equal rate to women. A mens shelter was protested and shut down and the founder hounded and harassed by femminists in Canada. 

Below is what men are met with when we try to speak up. Even this post is dismissive of real hardships faced by men. But we really have to ask if they face the same problem?

Spoiler

and 

• Brohoof 1

• 4 months later...

What kind of question is that? :confused: 

On 12/8/2018 at 7:46 PM, Gestum said:

Short answer yes. 

Because it's not as socially acceptable for men to complain as for women. Men are more or less expected to endure their problems without saying anything. 

^ Best answer 

• Brohoof 3

Absolutely we do. And not just the boys will be boys stereotype of non emotion showing brick walls, there are some jobs out there where men are paid less than women because women are "more desirable" for the position. And do not get me started on double standards. As I'm sure @Lucky Bolt is tired of hearing, I can rant about those till the cows come home.

• Brohoof 4

Unfortunately, anyone with any sex, religion, race, ethnicity, etc. will face some sort of scrutiny or discrimination at least once in their lives. Cultural and societal sexism is at an all-time low... unfortunately, however, tension between the sexes has risen quite a bit in the past decade or so, if only due to the media. To answer your question directly, however... yes, they can and do.

• Brohoof 2

• 1 year later...

We don't complain that's simply the nature of being a man, you endure. To do so would have people think less of you as a man whether you agree with that or not you can't disagree that is true in society. Is why we never talk about male suicide both because as men we are taught we do not matter and we should keep to ourselves secondly to talk about it is seen as not being a strong man. Don't really buy into this stuff as I'm more of an UwU boi though yes that is my two kronas.

• Brohoof 1

Men can be victims of sexism as much as women can. The difference is it's women are encouraged to speak out when they become victims but when men step forward, they're either ignored or told things like "Man up".

• Brohoof 3

On 12/8/2018 at 1:12 PM, AlicornSpell said:

I honestly don't think that men face sexism and double standards like how women do. If they do, then why don't they complain about it like how woman do?

Because men take it upon themselves to solve or suffer their own problems, and feel bad when they complain to others. Women make complaining a sport, but it's socially acceptable for them to do so. If a man complains like a woman complains, then he's seen as useless, unmanly, he's not doing the right thing. 

• Brohoof 3

Men probably get far worse from double standards than women do. I see women getting preferential treatment everywhere, but men are too often considered expendable because they don't make a big stink out of everything. It's unfortunate to see the dignity of manhood regarded as an afterthought. Both sexes have something special to offer and both should be treated accordingly. 

• Brohoof 2

I actually don't know. Seeing only one side of things makes it difficult to answer such a question. Comparing the problems side by side, I am sure there are similar situations. I don't hear many women complaining about these things, so why would I think men complain less?

On 5/3/2020 at 7:17 PM, Olly said:

Because men take it upon themselves to solve or suffer their own problems, and feel bad when they complain to others. Women make complaining a sport, but it's socially acceptable for them to do so. If a man complains like a woman complains, then he's seen as useless, unmanly, he's not doing the right thing. 

That happens to the men I know in real life :/

• Brohoof 1

On 12/8/2018 at 3:12 PM, AlicornSpell said:

I honestly don't think that men face sexism and double standards like how women do. If they do, then why don't they complain about it like how woman do?

Not to be sexist or anything but men don't complain. Those who do, are they really men? 

I have never heard of a "nagging husband" motif. Im sure there are plenty of whiny dudes out there but most men would say they are not men. 

Not that "not being a man" makes one a woman. Quite the contrary. To be a woman holds a high standing of getting things done all with grace, determination, and efficiency. When a dude is a whiny he is not a man or a woman but rather a child. Age has nothing to do with it. 

On 12/8/2018 at 3:50 PM, Oleks said:

“Why don’t you offer your bus seat to a lady? even though you waited in the line way longer than her, and she’s not old or handicapped]”.

If any man doesnt offer his bus seat because he waited longer he deserves to walk his lazy ass home. 

Men also do face sexism. The sexism one faces depends on a whole sum of variables.
Bluntly sayd: How do you look? Where do you live (or what type of people do you run into). 
A very common form of sexism men face is: "You carry this because you are a man."
I must admit though, that I kinda find it very polite if a man does that for me, and sometimes politely ask if they want to do so for me.
But there are ladies who demand it on the basis of: "You are a man."
Which is in essence sexism. And I find such demands very impolite to be honest.

On a side note, both men and women can be victim(s) of abuse,
Men often feel scared to complain if they are in a relation with a girl. Because they might not be believed, or because everyone will make them a laughing stock.

As for double standards, many people have those. I disliked them but have seen them in both genders.

I think men can face sexism and double standards. Like some already mentioned here.

Though I think they don’t fight against it in quite the right way.  

It almost always seems like problems men face is simply used by other men as an argument against feminism, but that’s as far as they go with it.  

Id rather see a men’s rights group focus on the problems men face, rather than existing to simply attack feminism.

• Brohoof 2

@AppleButt @Sunamena Most of us do agree that a lot of it might be our fear of complaining. Why do we fear to complain due to men then either trying to make light of it or simply not listen. Is it possible in my mind, that most of the sexism we actually experience we experience from our own. 

Mens rights group although they typically do point out hypocrisy often it sometimes feels like their only real enemy is feminism. When reality of it is that society that we have created is perhaps to harsh on us too focused on us being something we are not. That we have created many of these expectations. Or that's my thought.

• Brohoof 1

Absolutely. I'd say that men can be just as vunerable as women. I've seen and experienced this sort of thing first hand, which only makes me more annoyed when it's disregarded.

• Brohoof 2

15 hours ago, Dustlicious said:

@Olly Not a sexist blanket statement. Not at all.

A blanket statement may be over generalizing, but can still hold a grain of truth. And nobody ever said the truth was pretty