AlicornSpell

General Do men ever face sexism and double standards?

I honestly don't think that men face sexism and double standards like how women do. If they do, then why don't they complain about it like how woman do?

Men certainly face both sexism and double standards. For example, the court system is much more lenient when it comes to women.     

2 minutes ago, AlicornSpell said:

If they do, then why don't they complain about it like how woman do?

They do, just casually mention the feminism movement and you'll have no shortage of people complaining about sexism against men.

Badges

They do, here are some examples from my experience:

“You don’t know how to fix this? But you’re a man, you’re supposed to know technical stuff!”
“You don’t like cars? But all boys like cars! What’s wrong with you?”
“Why don’t you offer your bus seat to a lady? You’re a man, you can stand [even though you waited in the line way longer than her, and she’s not old or handicapped]”.
“Watching My Little Pony?!! You can’t be called a man anymore!”

However, all the above is only “mild” sexism, if I may use this phrasing. Another general example is "You want to be a kindergarten teacher? But this is for females only! What are you, a pedophile?" 

I personally rarely complain about this, and realize that women can face much worse things and much more frequently. But yeah, man do face sexism and double standards.

Badges

Some men do speak out their opinions, but here are some reasons maybe why they don't voice it so much:

1. The Feminism movements are more popular and speak over their opinions.

2. They're just men and keep quiet.

3. They probably don't think it's too much of a big deal.

Every day its why i wouldve preferred to be born as a female

Badges

Yes. I have seen it time and time again. I know there’s at least one feminist that wants to eliminate the word ‘man’ from vocabulary. I know she’s not speaking for every feminist but deleting words is something Orwell predicted in 1984, which, by the way, was meant to be a warning. Not a how to guide.

Badges

Short answer yes. 

2 hours ago, AlicornSpell said:

If they do, then why don't they complain about it like how woman do?

Because it's not as socially acceptable for men to complain as for women. Men are more or less expected to endure their problems without saying anything. 

Let's see
Men have 1 I say again 1 shelter for domestic abuse in the US despite men suffering DV at a near equal rate to women. A mens shelter was protested and shut down and the founder hounded and harassed by femminists in Canada. 

Below is what men are met with when we try to speak up. Even this post is dismissive of real hardships faced by men. But we really have to ask if they face the same problem?

Spoiler

and 

Badges

What kind of question is that? :confused: 

On 12/8/2018 at 7:46 PM, Gestum said:

Short answer yes. 

Because it's not as socially acceptable for men to complain as for women. Men are more or less expected to endure their problems without saying anything. 

^ Best answer 

Badges

Absolutely we do. And not just the boys will be boys stereotype of non emotion showing brick walls, there are some jobs out there where men are paid less than women because women are "more desirable" for the position. And do not get me started on double standards. As I'm sure @Lucky Bolt is tired of hearing, I can rant about those till the cows come home.

Unfortunately, anyone with any sex, religion, race, ethnicity, etc. will face some sort of scrutiny or discrimination at least once in their lives. Cultural and societal sexism is at an all-time low... unfortunately, however, tension between the sexes has risen quite a bit in the past decade or so, if only due to the media. To answer your question directly, however... yes, they can and do.

Badges