Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you belive cats are able to have feelings for humans?

Vicke

even though it feels like a conscious decision, it's because you aren't aware of the inner machinations of your mind.

This claim is not supported by science.

It is your opinion. But don't present it as if it's science. Not enough is known about the brain to dismiss the possibility of consciousness.

Right now you are choosing to reply to me, are you not? Or would you say your instincts are making you reply to me?

Consider those two options.

by the very act of considering them, you are using your conscious. Deny it if you wish. Then blame it on your instincts!

This claim is not supported by science.

It is your opinion. But don't present it as if it's science. Not enough is known about the brain to dismiss the possibility of consciousness.

Right now you are choosing to reply to me, are you not? Or would you say your instincts are making you reply to me?

Consider those two options.

by the very act of considering them, you are using your conscious. Deny it if you wish. Then blame it on your instincts!

Lol, what? I never said consciousness did not exist...And yes there are measurable physical processes making me respond to you. You could say you are stimulating me.

you are stimulating me.

Oh baby, you know I roll that way~ <3

I don't quite remember what I was getting at, but I believe I made an error when saying "consciousness." That word should have been "morality" perhaps. Or whatever the word is for making decisions (and having a true choice over the decision; even if you experience influence or pressure from natural phenomenon).

• Brohoof 1

I have the impression that the question is twofold. First, do cats have the capacity for empathy? Second, can they act on empathy, if at all?

Having lived with cats for many years, I would be inclined to say that cats are indeed empathic. If you are expecting them to start crying when you cry, however, then you are striving to impart anthropomorphic understanding into a feline. A cat is more likely to respond to something within its immediate interests. In other words, it will ignore considerations we may have in favor of imminent needs. But cats can grow attached---most anyone who has owned a cat will vouch for this---sharing its affection in unique feline ways. Given that we're several times larger than the standard domestic house cat, the fact that some cats will permit you to hold them, touch them, and, in certain cases, even rub their stomachs is an amazing sign of trust. Asking for more is simply nonsensical.

Again, the apparent aloof behavior of cats is not due to their lack of interest (in our standard sense of the term) or lack of intelligence. They have another set of priorities. Whether or not you register in their priority tree, or how you register, is dependent on the cat, the person (you), and other factors, e.g., familiarity, approach, environment, etc.

When one of my cats leaps on my shoulders and rides along calmly, I am humbled by their trust. I don't demand more of them. To me, demanding human empathy from a cat is searching in all of the wrong places.

• Brohoof 1

What exactly are feelings?

I believe it's simply an instinct present in all social animals, as previous posters have stated. Humans are very social of nature, and it's natural that domestic cats bred to be kept for pets will be so too, so through time they have probably developed something similar to what we call love, sadness, anger and such.

We're overestimating ourselves. How can anyone here possibly know that what we consider "feelings" aren't just instincts themselves? They make us protect those we love, while keeping us safe from harm by making us take distance from those we've had bad experiences with.

Edited by Shaoni
  • Brohoof 1

• 7 years later...
On 9/10/2012 at 5:53 PM, Vicke said:

These are just some of the reasons but i wanna hear your opinions and thoughts!

Cats are not dogs.

Cats have ways to take care of themselves, meaning they will be able to adapt to different life scenarios, one could be having feelings for a human, I am sure. But it is most likely not.

Any animal can have feelings for someone. They also have a natural sense of survival which may make it seem like they are more interested in eating than giving affection. I think they have instincts for both; one being a matter of survival and the other being a matter of general instinct for nurturing and being nurtured. Whichever comes to the surface at any given time may be based on the circumstances.

• Brohoof 2

People are willing to look past feelings when it comes to cats. They are cute even when they lick certain areas of their body right in front of you!

Most cats I have seen lately are sitting by the side of the road, as mice are having their young right now. They almost don't even dodge the cars, so why would they have feelings for a human? Food has priority. Food and sleep, a cat's life

Hmm. Not sure on them having feelings per se as how a human perceive and experience them, but a form of genuine affectionate attachment? Sure, that is something I would claim.

When your cat want your attention often, wanting to cuddle, bump its head gently against you and wanting to be around you even if food is not involved, you can be at least somewhat safe to assume that your cat likes you.

I think cats do develop a sense of trust and genuinely like their owners. I don't think it gets to the point of overriding their survival instincts though. For example, My cat is VERY affectionate and talkative to me. He always comes when called too. HOWEVER I wouldn't expect him to attack a burglar or something. He's just probably going to hide.^_^ Cats by nature seem to be more independent and react to survival instincts over concerns for other things/people.

When it comes to dogs, overall I think they have stronger feelings for their owners. If you're sad/hurt they usually WILL be concerned (unless they're an idiot):laugh: and will also at least try and defend YOU from something they perceive as a threat. This definitely comes from their "pack" instincts, or whatever you'd like to call it.

Edited by Cirrus.
  • Brohoof 2

Cats have just as much emotion as dogs do, they just express their emotions differently since they're a different species.  Cats are more introverted while dogs tend to be more in your face with their emotions.  If you meet a dog for the first time, you'll better understand what they're feeling compared to meeting a cat for the first time since dogs are "louder" with their emotions.

Cats do whatever the fuck they want, and whatever gets them food. They do recognize their owners, though, and some cats will definitely enjoy the attention their owners give them even without the promise of food. Both our cats hung out outside all day, and we know they were fed in some other houses as well, but whenever I or one of my parents came home in the afternoon or evening they'd recognize the sound of the car engine and come running. Whether they have complex feelings for us or not, I don't know. Ultimately humans are animals just as much as every other creature, so if we can do it, who's to say they can't, if likely not in the same way we do.

Some people see animals as caring, no matter what, so if you ask them, they will believe cats have feelings, and that they talk to them specifically.

For me, a meow means "hungry again", where for some others, it simply means "I love you".

• Brohoof 2

6 hours ago, KatonRyu said:

Cats do whatever the fuck they want, and whatever gets them food. They do recognize their owners, though, and some cats will definitely enjoy the attention their owners give them even without the promise of food.

That's why from day 1 my cat gets food literally ONLY when I ask him if he wants food.:squee:  He never begs because that's the routine. He starts getting excited when I'm done with my morning shower before work since I usually feed him just before I leave. I ask him and he meows and I get his food.

He definately likes attention not related to food and sometimes gets sad when I go to bed. He makes sad meows and I tell him to come by me. He either comes or not and shuts up pretty quick.

I HATE agressive bellowing for attention by cats. You can't indulge it or they'll just do it more. My parents cat is terrible with this. If my cat does it I tell him, "No you come here." He either does or shuts up shortly after.:laugh:

To end bad habits with cats you pretty much have to give them the opposite outcome of what they want.

Edited by Cirrus.
  • Brohoof 1

Generalizing in any context is plain ridiculous. 

Some cats are like that, some aren't. It depends on how you treat them as well outside the "meal time". Is just like any person really. Some are plain psychopaths others are almost too sweet and sensitive. 

I can see it with my cat and how she is with me and with others and how others perceive her because of that. In the family we all agree that she is pretty much a creature with a distinct personality. She recognizes who is who and understands our own personalities. She knows my mom is very scared of her playful bites so she would still do it but very softly. She knows my brother's plays rough and she would let her be manipulated by him. That my dad would let her go out on occasions. And that I take care of her mostly. 

One curious thing though is that she has has bad experiences with my parents before, mainly with my mother because she always forgets her outside for hours, or my mom likes to get into her personal space by hugging her and she doesn't like that because of the way she manipulates her, so yeah, she's not her favorite person to be around though she's never attacked her in any way and she still makes her company from time to time. Mother thinks it's because she doesn't like her just because I'm there but she doesn't take responsibility for the fuckups she's had with her and you have to admit anyone would be pretty pissed of if this person who you can't understand because she speaks human suddenly leaves you outside everytime for no apparent reason and is annoying all around with all those invasive uncomfortable hugs, what's her problem. So of course she wouldn't like to be around her and my mom hasn't done anything to better it so my cat will simply continue to get weirded out by her.

And even if my dad gives her treats, when I'm around she normally looks at me to know if she can eat whatever he gives her.

I can tell I'm her favorite person because I basically do what you are supposed to do with them. Take care of them, clean their place, play, give her food, take her to walk outside. The others in the family sometimes do that but they pretty much don't have her in their priorities. Still she likes my brother and stays awake when he goes to work until he arrives, she brings us to his room to let us know he is not in the house yet. She worries for us when someone is sick in bed and sleeps with whoever is sick. But like any person she will of course spend the most time with that someone that makes her feel better. They are like forever children. And she's 14 years old which would be like 70 or something in human years but still wants to play like a kitten, still holds grudges towards certain people for very specific things, and now she's learned to call me to clean her poop immediately after she uses the sandbox because she likes it to be clean. 

She's transitioning to new food because of sone treatment for her kidneys and she loves the new food (thankfully), but now she doesn't want to eat her usual ones and I have to just let her get hungry because there's no other choice, she ends up eating them in the end. If my dad were to give her her favorite food if course she will eat it because she doesn't understand why she has to eat the less appetizing ones, is just like sweets for her. She knows what she does wrong, what we don't like but still does it when we don't see because she's become mischievous and because she just likes whatever she does (scratch the sofa or sleep in the couches) and sometimes will do it perfectly on purpose in revenge and be sure we are watching her do it. 

But to realize all this you have to change the way if thinking of "it's just instinct" to "maybe they actually are capable of thinking like any other thing", they do it in their own way. Realize that you are also a creature to them that they probably don't understand either and still have to convey to you what they need as little individuals and that someone that maybe treats them better is like having that awesome uncle that actually gives a fk about you compared to those supposed parents that in the end just ignore you or are not as fun to be with. As humans we mostly can't just go with that awesome person that understands us but for cats is much easier so why wouldn't they do it, their logic is that of a child and what child didn't wanted to run away from their home at some point (or is that just me:mlp_wat:).

Of course it depends on the cat, some will stay with that owner regardless but usually cats are more leaning towards taking care of themselves first because of their genetics, that is true but is not defining or a rule just like humans are prone to being together and power. A valuable lesson for anyone.

Edited by Ittoni

16 minutes ago, You said:

*ex-favorite

Fixed that for you.

Pfft! Nah.. she likes me regardless. I can tell because she spends most of the day in my room. If it were like that she would have abandon me every time we go to the veterinary.

Edited by Ittoni