Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How long did it take you to become a brony?

Invincible

I found out about the whole brony fandom after my sister wanted to show me ":the freakiest documentary ever" which was the Brony documentary on Netflix. Not only did I see how strong of a conviction those guys had to the show, but also the whole idea of a show "targeted for little girls" catching the interest of grown men had piqued my curiosity, and I just had to watch it! needless to say, after the first episode, I was hooked.

-~25 July 2011.

-Watched beginning of episode 1.

-Closed video after a few seconds.

-Convinced bronies were trolls.

-Few weeks pass by.

-Tries again.

-Finished watching pilot episodes.

-Watched episode 3.

-Realized I watched all of season 1 in 3 days.

-Could not wait for season 2.

I started watching the show in 2012 (some time in the middle of when season 2 was airing). I liked the show, but I wasn't obsessed. Heck, I thought Rarity was a side character and I didn't know who the CMC were back then. :P

I eventually came across a PMV on YouTube this summer and I really liked it. I decided to start watching the show again, and I did. I loved the show even more than I did before. Then I became I brony. :)

So yeah, about 2 years. :o

I could care less about the whole Brony thing for the longest time, but after seeing so many of the cute pony pictures all over the place I couldn't help but check it out. Ended up watching the first 7 episodes on the same day I decided to try the show. That was about a year ago.

My friends were huge fans, but I was kinda left out. So on a whim, I watched a few. Then more, then I finished season 2. Then I told my friends I had watched it and loved it. I still bounce in and out of it, but my girlfriend accepts it, so I'm cool with telling anyone now.

I've casually known about MLP for a long time and I'll admit, I hated it. It wasn't until about a good three years ago now that I gave the newest gen a chance. It started by looking at pony art "to see what the buzz was all about". Admitably I was skeptical of how good it was till I decided to look into watching the first season which by this point was already on the verge of finishing. After the first episodes or two I think a change in my mentality happened. Laurn Faust's creation saved me from my previous hate. My mind became more open minded to the idea and from that point onward I've been a brony.

I heard about MLP back in 2012 when a youtuber rant about the show in a Let's play video. I discovered about the term "brony" in 2013 when I did a google search right after I saw the term in a twitch.tv chat room. In september 2014, I decided to give the show a shot as a challenge (To watch all of the episodes), then I could say that end-October/early November, when i did finish watching all of the episodes to this date, I could admit myslef being a fan of the show, but in a more closet-way :P

So, in brief, it took me two years to get into the show, without knowing about the brony sub-culture

one year, knowing about the sub-culture existing

2 months and a half, episodes-wise

Well I was first made aware of MLP in late Summer of 2013, when I started noticing bits of dialogue from MLP being put into comedy AMVs, and then some youtube channels that I watched for AMVs flat out putting clips from the show on their channel. So I was aware of the show then but I didn't want to watch the show... because I knew I would probably like it from the bit I had seen. And I was kind of like, "I'm eccentric enough as it is, let's not add candy colored equines". :huh:

After ponies appearing everywhere for a couple months, it came to a head when Netflix started to do the separate profiles thing under one account, and I started rating shows I liked hoping to get some good recommendations for new shows. Guess what it suggested that I would not only might like to watch, but probably give 5 stars, due to my previous ratings and such... flippin' My Little Pony, man :okiedokielokie: ! After, having the official, 'The will of Heaven is to watch MLP' moment, I started watching the show about mid-November. About two weeks later ( almost exactly one year ago :blink: ), I was in the parking lot after having left a store that sold various movies and a bunch of nerd stuff.. So they had MLP figurines... And I realized I had wanted to buy one really bad; that was the moment I realized I was a brony (Screenplay worthy stuff there right? :muffins: ) .

So 3-4 months after being aware of MLPs existence until I watched the show, and then about two weeks until I became a brony. So 4 and half months or so. 

4 episodes for the show itself and about 2-3 months to truly become one with the fandom in general. Namely an old forum I used to be on. Though I must say this one helped me get back into the fandom.

I was first made aware of the show's existance from watching the Cowboys Vs. (changing title) parody from MAD on Cartoon Network in the summer 2011. One year later, August 2012, I found this on TGWTG.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtXT-HSenyE

This is what made me aware of the term Brony. I already explained in great detail how I got into watching this show in How and when did you become a brony? The short version is that in spite of watching and enjoying the first 2 episodes of the whole FiM reboot in August 2012, it wasn't until April 2013 did I went on an Archive Binge through the first 3 seasons.

So to answer the original question, I'd say 8 months is how long it took for me to become a brony.

I heard lots of guys in their 20s liked My Little Pony at least as far back of the turn of this decade when FiM took off, and one of my online friends at the time was a Brony, but I just didn't get it. I hadn't actually seen FiM at all at that point, so I just assumed that these guys were just odd, but I also didn't think much of it, since guys watching girl's shows is hardly anything new. This online buddy of mine once told me he had seen every episode of My Little Pony, and didn't know what to do, so I jokingly said to go outside. Anyways, my impression of MLP at the time was pretty much limited to those old TV commercials and a picture book that I read to my then four or five year old cousin to keep her entertained which pre-dated FiM.

It wasn't actually until April of this year that I actually checked it out. A friend of mine did a random dare to watch something we perceived as girly, for reasons I don't remember. He actually said he would watch the first episode of My Little Pony if I watched Mean Girls, and he actually researched FiM ahead of time. He watched the first episode and he changed my dare to also watching that first episode, because he said it was unfair that he only had to watch a single TV episode while he originally had me watching a whole movie. I agreed and I watched it, then he asked me what I thought, and it became clear that he liked it, and wanted me to have the same experience. We then agreed together to watch Friendship is Magic Part 2 to finish the story arc. We both decided that we were satisfied with the conclusion of that arc and could easily stop there, or keep going, but we were both curious and mutually decided to keep going.

For me, it was after episode 9 that I decided to seek out other opinions of the show online, and it wasn't long after that when I decided to join this forum, since I have always loved forums, and have joined a number of them over the years relating to my favorite hobbies. Episodes 4, 7 and 9 are all significant to me. Episode 4 is when I decided FiM is a good series and I wanted to keep going with it, episode 7 is when I decided I like the series, and episode 9 is when I decided I really like it. Perhaps Flutterguy was a show stopper for me. I was actually slow to adopt the title of "Brony", but there came a point when I decided I would by lying to myself if I didn't accept it. Episode 9 though is probably the earliest point when I could say I exhibited the symptoms of a Brony. I think that about covers my entire Brony story.

It was sometime in mid 2013 that I found pony stuff on the internet and liked it, and it was this summer that I actually started watching all of the episodes. Unfortunately, I didn't even know that The Hub existed, much less where ponies were, so my quest for ponies had to be stalled until I remembered them again this past summer. In other words, it was either of those two dates. :please:

Edited by Wyzecat