Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Old or new music?

SOULEATERROX

Old music is definitely superior to new music. However, I find myself every now and then finding a newer song that is quite spectacular. I like all genres of music, but I tend to have rather high standards for quality within those genres.

My favorite musical artist of all time would be Billy Joel, since he has such a huge library of songs that I consider immaculate. Usually, I will only like a select few songs from a specific artist, especially within the modern era. For example, I absolutely hate most of Katy Perry's music, but I find Firework to be utterly stellar; amazing vocal performance, great emotional buildup, just really impactful. But then you compare that to something like, idk, Hot n Cold and the difference in quality is astonishing. On the other hand, with artists like Billy Joel, Elton JohnPhil Collins, or John Mellencamp practically every song is at least a 9/10 for me :o

Gorillaz' 2010 Plastic Beach album was the closest I have seen anybody get to the consistent quality of the "good old days"; pretty much all the songs on that album are flawless (with the exception of Welcome to the World of Plastic Beach and Pirate Jet).

• Brohoof 1

Ask me this question about 3 or 4 years ago and I would have told you that all this electronic music is cancer

Dubstep is cancer, electronic music is not real music, I hate the crappy electronic remixes of pony songs in the brony community, I like only 80's music 

However today 

I don't know what to tell ya. I am in love with stuff like Future Bass and Vaporwave, yes I like Vaporwave... A LOT... listening to some Vaportrap while typing this.

In regards to what music I think is better... I am not sure, I want to say older music but I feel like that's too general. I love a lot of newer music I am hearing. I will concede it is a lot easier to make music today than it was back in the 70's- 80's.

However this is the opinion of someone of someone with a larger than average scope and knowledge of genres. My stance here stems from this knowledge and all the unique and ethereal music I have heard in studying these genres though documentary videos and my own personal observations.

If you want my more limited stance on this and you just take into account mainstream music, I will tell you in a heartbeat that older music is WAY better than the crap today. I barely listen to mainstream music anymore, it's all boring and samey. My musical home lies in genres like future bass, and more interesting obscure stuff, however I don't like how mainstream future bass has been becoming as of late.

So I guess I like both equally. if we are talking about newer music from obscure and hidden genres such as Vaporwave, Vaportrap Future Funk, non-mainstream Future Bass, Jungle Terror, Melbourne Bounce, Tropical House, Electro Swing, Chill Bass, stuff like that. Then I have no choice but to say newer music is better since most of those genres were created post 2010. 

However if you want to talk strictly about mainstream. I believe the music of the 70's 80's and 90's have much more to offer than today. Some music today is good, I like a few Drake songs, a few Taylor Swift songs, and hell even a couple Justin Bieber songs. However on the whole the 00's were an absolutely abysmal decade for music, and the 10's while better by quite a sizable margin have only been OK in my opinion. So I do think older music is a lot better in that aspect. 

Well it depends what is classified as new/old. I love grunge/alternative from the 90s but I hardly listen to any music released prior to that. In general however I would definitely pick new music over old

• 1 year later...

I generally prefer older music – from the 60s to the early 00s (especially the 80s and 90s). I think there's good music in every era, but my interest in current music has decreased a lot in the last couple of years. There are some new songs that are great, but I still find myself listening more to older music. Maybe nostalgia plays a part... :rarity:

• Brohoof 2

there's great music in both,but if i had to chose one i'd defenitely choose old
(maybe i'll listen to the rest as they gradualy become old themselves)

I vastly prefer old music over new. By old I mean anything from the mid 1960s or older. There are some exceptions though. I do like Broadway music from some modern shows and many newer movie soundtracks (John Williams anyone?) My iPod is loaded with songs from every decade from the 1920s to present (and even a few commercial jingles). But given the choice, old stuff for me, please. 

I listen to old and new, and appreciate them both...However, I do tend to listen to older era music. I have a lot of stuff by Buddy Holly, Frank Sinatra, and The Ink Spots. Plus some Willie Nelson, The Beetles. and others.

I listen to both, but mainly older stuff. I don't really listen to pop all that much, but I do like the lesser-known R&B releases and a lot of alternative stuff. I am equally obsessed with 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, and 00's music. Seems the 2010's really hit a garbage-patch with music, but that's slowly been recovering in the shadows of music today, which I love. :rarity:

I really like stuff from the Pre-2000's era, despite being born after 2000.

All the stuff I have purchased is a crazy mishmash of stuff from the 50's, 80's, 90's and much much more!

• 2 years later...

New music has become almost as good as old music. I think it has to do with creativity. People try new things, and then they fail, and copy old stuff :mlp_icwudt:

Old music. There are some variations though. For example, I may like a new musician performing an old song. I also usually like new songs by old musicians.

By "old" I mean a musician who started his or her career while Lithuania was part of the USSR or a song created at that time.

For me to like a musician two conditions have to be met:
1. The musician has a decent voice that does not make me run for the radio to change the station.
2. I have to like the song and the style. 

There are good singers that I do not listen to, because I do not like their songs and there are singers who perform songs that I like, but I cannot bear listening to them.

Music was made differently back then, for a few reasons. One reason was that the government did not just allow anything on the air and I usually like the songs that "made it" past the censors. Another reason was that musicians did not get paid that well. Musicians, AFAIK, did not get royalties for recordings and if they wanted more money and were lucky to become popular, they had to perform a lot (sometimes multiple concerts per day). This means that most musicians back then were musicians because they loved music and not just "in it for the money".

Also, back then, Autotune did not exist, this is true for "Capitalist" music as well.

So yeah, mostly old music (or old musicians) for me, but there are exceptions of course.

I've always been all over the place with music and never stick to one genre or time period. So I've heard a lot but I don't know a lot about any particular kind of music and I'm definitely not any kind of an expert on music overall. But I do know that most(not all) music these days is generic and motivated by money to have the widest possible appeal and take no real chances. Capitalism is a great thing but for art to be good it needs to be motivated by passion.