Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Opinions on high school

Moved to Elsewhere

All right what are your opinions on high school? Well I do think it is better than middle school in terms of maturity of students. But I don't like the drama that happens or how early it starts. My school starts at 7:30 and I live quite a way from there so I have to leave at 6:40. I would prefer it if it started later and ended later.

All right discuss away!

high school are going to be the best years of your life, my dad used to say.

i'm not in high school anymore, and i have to agree with my dad. it doesn't matter how much drama there is going to be, it are going to be the best years of your life. 

the friends you make there are forever.

• Brohoof 1

I really don't think about school too often. I play(ed) baseball for a couple of years, have friends I'm pretty grateful for, take part on a couple of academic teams, but meh. I just let the world go by me. I mean, I really just don't care. Completely neutral on the subject. I go to school, go to work, get on here.

I've found myself to be very happy with that schedule :D

High school is the worst of the whole lot. Very awful place with very awful people. While the classes were longer, there were only four of them. That's the only nice thing about high school. Other than that, horrible. Middle school and Elementary were better, and that's not saying much.

Edited by SmartyPants
  • Brohoof 6

I was also told many times that high school would be the best years of my life, and no. High school was and will forever be the worst years of my life. I hated high school. I hated everything about high school. The only thing that got me through was my amazing boyfriend. College. Those are the best years of my life so far. High school was awful, but college is amazing. 

• Brohoof 2

High School itself is rather boring. Most of the classes don't teach my anything of importance, in my opinion anyways.

However, I've made some wonderful friends in high school. I'm scared that one high school ends, I'll lose some of those great friends.

I attended high school in rural America during my freshman year, and I can say it is the yin in my teens, but after we moved to the city, urban high school was the yang. So much emphasis on appearance and status, that learning was a forgone conclusion, not the the high school did much to school the students, they were passing people even if the student did not deserve it, including those that had been held back a semester. My rural high school and my lifestyle did give me self reliance, for I educated myself on every subject imaginable, like economy, banking, cooking, construction, marksmanship, commuters, philosophy and anthropology, using books and the internet was far more interesting than sitting in an classroom, bored and lectured so I believe schooling in general should not be the government's responsibility, although it could still be regulated, must be the community's and the student's responsibility, just like friendly relationships and life lessons that school can give, but the students is still the master of themselves.  

@ChikoritaBrony

When it comes to time there. I actually have the EXACT same leave and school start time as you. And now my opinion on high school. The thing about high school is that things you see may very well depend on the school your attending. Some may be more jocks. Some may be more dramas. Some may be more bronies. Some may be more haters. Based on my school I would say its about evenly intergrated and has been more enjoyable than middle school. But I feel that when it comes to our school. They should use the old way of teaching. The teachers. (Well they are ordered to teach in certain ways (by the the AASD administration, so I will blame the administration) in our school for a majority of the core classes (Math, Sci, History, C.A.) we are given work and are mostly expected to work things out in a group and present our finding and knowledge to the teacher... what the hell? I would much prefer to be straight out lectured by the teacher so I don't go around talking in a group and not even being sure I'm doing something right or wrong. At our school the majority of this takes place in the Math department but it feels like its going to be more widespread in the following years...

I hate high school.  I'm happy it's my last year there because I can't take it anymore.  People are jerks, subjects are boring and you're always overloaded with work (if you're in an advanced program like me).  Last year, I couldn't do anything but the projects they gave me because we lacked so much time!  We couldn't even relax during our spring break or Christmas vacations because school gave us work to do!  Elementary school was so much better than this!  The friends I had there were true friends.  I still don't know what middle school is supposed to represent, but whatever.  Bring on Cegep! (or college, really)

I hated high school. I didn't have any real friends at school and being a queer in a Catholic school was just awful. Plus I don't think high school students are nearly as mature as they should be, but that's probably mostly me since I matured very early. Idk, I guess there were a few people who it was cool to meet, and I enjoyed learning, but overall it was a pretty bad experience for me :(

high school are going to be the best years of your life, my dad used to say.

i'm not in high school anymore, and i have to agree with my dad. 

I am going to have to disagree on that one, high school wasn't all bad for me but I am way way better off now than I was back then. My damn hormones had such a stranglehold over me that I could never turn it completely off no matter how much I er well you know and I had a nasty case of acne. I was extremely psychologically and emotionally unstable with depression and rage issues that were so severe that I was constantly on the edge of being expelled from school or even going to prison. Bullying was also a serious problem for me because I was seen as different and singled out for that, I wasn't beat up or anything because I towered over most of my fellow students but was stabbed in the back and taken advantage of on multiple occasions. Having Autism made it extremely difficult and even more awkward than it otherwise would have been to not make an ass out of myself in social situations.

I thank God for the real friends I had and the good times like being the jazz band for example but though I am dealing with hard times right now as well I can't even begin to describe how liberating it is to not deal with the bullshit I had to put up with in high school. There is still bullshit that has carried over from there and some I have to put up with now that I didn't back then but I have far more opportunities now than I did back then and intend to take full advantage of them. I know this post may come across as angry, bitter and cynical but that is not the point I am trying to make. The point I am making is that people idealize the past to such an absurd extent that they often fail to see the bad and can't move on with their lives. I understand nostalgia and think there is nothing wrong with a little bit of it, but I don't want my high school years to be the best because I have a lot of years still left and I want them to the best years I can possibly make them.

• Brohoof 1

Ok, time for some brutal honesty.

Whoever said high school is the best four years of your life is a stupid fuck. Just like 9 out of 10 people in high school.

High school is only good if you fit into a clique, ideally an athletic one. If you're short or fat or awkward like I was, it's a living hell. I knew it would be a living hell early so I just cut my losses, flew under the radar, did my work, came home, and tried to make it go by as fast as possible. In hindsight that may have been a mistake since I missed out on a lot of opportunities that way by avoiding sports and extracurricular shit, but as the saying goes, "Living in the past is depression, living in the future is anxiety, living in the present is peace" and I don't really want another bought of depression right now. So I'm just gonna forget about it. I regret nothing.

College though, that's where it's at! :D People actually have their heads pulled out of their asses here.

PS: I went to a tiny Catholic high school. Basically the epitome of everything I didn't…click with…So I am biased.

Edited by ~Master~ Button Mash
  • Brohoof 5

i am at university now I BUCKING MISS HIGH SCHOOOL!!! guys don't waste it... it is the best school EVAR!!! (when i made the chem lab explode.. oh man... i miss those times)

I don't know high school is okay, if you're in a clique I have never been in a clique. So I sort of started my own hangout place in a way, I hang out in a place that's called the pit. It literally is a pit in the middle of the school that and the library.

If you don't fit in anywhere, you'll sort of end up being alone which is okay as long as you don't mind it.

High school is what pushed me to atheism. It's a long story, so im just going to give a quick summary of my experience. The teachers were largely apathetic, the students were deceptive backstabbers and the whole thing was just painful for me. The only true friend I had in those four years was my best friend that moved with me. The janitor was a nice man though, we met at 7:30 every morning when he unlocked the school.

The best years of my life? College is proving otherwise where I'm working with students that want to be there.

Edited by Celtore
  • Brohoof 1

It depends on the person. One of my brothers loved HS because of the social opportunities it presented.

I attended a small private school that gave me a very good education, but I hated the social environment. I loved my teachers, in particular my math (who turned my huge weakness in math to a strength) and my AP chem teacher, who helped me get into an academic research lab before I got into college. Without my AP chem teacher, I wouldn't have the full time job right out of college I have now.

That being said, since the school was small and most of the kids were rich and judgmental, I developed into a social outcast, though I have myself to blame for a lot of that. For all of HS, I was this gothic guy who sat in the back with my hoodie on, minding my own business, only there to learn and get the hell out of there at the end of the day. Never mind that there were some great people at my school, I let the number of students and the drama that erupted with the smallest comment keep me from making any real friends. 

Then I went to a university where there was an exponentially greater amount of people, albeit comprised primarily by awkward nerds (no offense to anyone who identifies themselves by this). I found it easier to socialize because I knew if I slipped and said something I probably shouldn't it wouldn't cause a huge drama war for the next month or so. These people did not judge because they understood that everyone is unique and could get over the fact that there are actually people out there that might upset them. Also, if I didn't like the people in one class, I could just find new people to hang out with in another. Also, it got easier to socialize in the later years when my classes got more specialized and the med school students left (effectively sizing the class down to 40 people :P). This made it easier to socialize with the same people. Also, throw in the huge amount of on campus organizations that cater to almost everything (by now I think the university I attended might have a big brony organization by the number of bronies I saw throughout the years there).

To each their own, I say. Almost everyone I know has fallen out of touch with the HS friends who went to different colleges. In the end, no matter where you find your friends, it is a battle and a chore to maintain a relationship, no matter how natural MLP makes friendship seem.

• Brohoof 2

Many say high school is the best time of your lives, and as well as the best memories, to that, I can somewhat agree......

For me, the kids are morons, the teachers didn't try at all, everyone was either doing it, smoking, or just skipping class overall, and worse, my friends and acquaintances were being bullied, and I couldn't do nothing about it......

There were a few good times I had, mostly my first year, but after that, I prefer to pretend I never had those moments in time I wish I could forget....

Overall, high school sucks, but that's just me.

• Brohoof 1