Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Name at least one thing that frightens you about the future

Cleverclover

I'm afraid of the possibility that childish fighting could end in a couple of countries being wiped off the map. You saw what a primitive nuke did to Hiroshima and Nagasaki? Imagine that multiplied by OVER 9000! That's exactly what I'm afraid our future holds.

Actually, as warfare and weapons have advanced, they've gotten further away from nuclear models and mass warfare. Wars are no longer fought on open fields but tight corridors and with weapons precise enough to hit your target dead from an airplane but not scratch the next door neighbor's place.

Railguns and coilguns are the way of the future and they don't even leave the trace chemical residue of gunpowder or rocket fuel let alone nuclear fallout, yet they can hit their targets from miles away with the kinetic force of a meteorite. 

More advanced doesn't always mean bigger.

• Brohoof 2

• 3 years later...

Cost of living going up even more. The value of the dollar going down even more, or worse, the dollar collapses. There goes my hopes of retirement and independent living. 

A nuclear air burst / solar event that destroys the electrical grid, sending us back to the 19th century, killing billions. 

A second American Civil War between conservatives and liberals. 

1. War

2. Economical instability

3. Not making any achievement in this 3 years of highschool

4. Fail to get a good university

5. Fail to get a decent job and have a decent living in the future.

Edited by Kevin Tang

1. The idiotic US government starting a full-scale war that results in a nuclear apocalypse. It really ISN'T that unlikely...

2. The idiotic US government causing a second great depression, from the consequences of raising the debt to insane heights.

3. The world being ruled almost entirely by corporations (like in Borderlands). It's sort of already happening, but not to the extent I'm afraid of...

• Brohoof 1

That at some point I will die.

2 hours ago, ~Dusky~ said:

1. The idiotic US government starting a full-scale war that results in a nuclear apocalypse. It really ISN'T that unlikely...

2. The idiotic US government causing a second great depression, from the consequences of raising the debt to insane heights.

3. The world being ruled almost entirely by corporations (like in Borderlands). It's sort of already happening, but not to the extent I'm afraid of...

I agree that corporations do control just about everything including basically buying politicians for unconstitutional laws....

Increasing light pollution. Just look at the forecast for 2025. As an amateur astronomer, that's depressing. 

The cities will always be bright, but it's the growing suburbs that threaten rural skies. :(

Light pollution map.jpg

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Cash In said:

Having to live and do things independently. I know it doesn't sound much, but my issues make these things difficult.

I know, right?

I know my parents aren't going to be around forever and I fear I won't be able to support myself with a well-paying job. Not to mention whether or not, if I'll have any children. I mean, I'll have my stepsister to help me. But I have a fear of failure in that I'm not good enough....

That's actually a good reason why I relate to Fluttershy's slacker of a brother who hides his insecurity behind an egotistical mask of talk.

On 1/24/2019 at 5:09 PM, Will Guide said:

That's actually a good reason why I relate to Fluttershy's slacker of a brother who hides his insecurity behind an egotistical mask of talk.

I can agree with that. Zephyr Breeze was a character who irked a lot of people, but I warmed up to him.

Edited by Cash In

The US debt. We’re already screwed on this one tbh. It will get to a point soon where the interest rates alone are so high that the government couldn’t keep up with it. 

Global economic depression is a best case scenario, I’m led to believe. 

7 hours ago, Cash In said:

Having to live and do things independently. I know it doesn't sound much, but my issues make these things difficult.

Yep, me too. Being unable to properly engage in conversation with people, not to mention my extreme clumsiness kind of makes things hard. That's made even worse with anxiety problems.

There really isn't anything about the future that scares me. I mean, there are a couple things that intimidate me, is the word I guess. Like for example, college, eventually starting a family someday, that sorta thing. It's the stuff I don't wanna fail or give up on. Again, it doesn't scare me, it just kinda intimidates me, if that makes sense. :mlp_huh:

Edited by Lucky Bolt

Oh wow, where to begin?

I'm going overseas to a country that I know nothing about, and I'm going to be doing one of the hardest jobs I've ever done that may or may not involve killing people. I'm frightened by the possibility that I might not come home, or that I may go missing.

I've never really connected well with people, and I'm afraid of never learning to connect with people, and never finding someone who makes me feel whole. Worse, I'm afraid of finding someone like that, but they reject my feelings. I'm afraid of talking to my family, because I haven't told them the entire truth about who I am and what I'm like, and I know they wouldn't accept me if they really knew me. I'm afraid of going to sleep, because I hate waking up to another day of the mess I've made.

...To name a few.

On 1/25/2019 at 12:45 AM, ~Dusky~ said:

Yep, me too. Being unable to properly engage in conversation with people, not to mention my extreme clumsiness kind of makes things hard. That's made even worse with anxiety problems.

Yeah, those kinds of things really suck.

Edited by Cash In

Climate change, mostly; that stuff is scary man. For exemple, I come from a north African country, where rain isn't supposed to be all that impressive you know? Well it's scary to see how stronger and stronger climate events become over the years; where is this world going really

• Brohoof 1

Life itself, mainly because I am a total failure. I am 26, and I basically have no real future ahead of me. So the thought of possibly going homeless one day and having nothing left, that's scary. Also the thought of everything I do amounting to nothing isn't a great one either. I don't have any real hope for my future.

On 1/21/2019 at 4:48 PM, Phosphor said:

Increasing light pollution. Just look at the forecast for 2025. As an amateur astronomer, that's depressing. 

The cities will always be bright, but it's the growing suburbs that threaten rural skies. :(

Light pollution map.jpg

It’s not just the skies. Urban sprawl also contributes to increased commute times, as you not only have to drive farther from work, you have to experience miles-long congestion, which dominoes into increased air and noise pollution and wasted time. Suburbs are also much harder to serve by public transit and increase car dependency. 

Thankfully, younger people are moving back into the city, and sprawl has been slowing down in some cities. Some cities have even taken into creating “green belts”, a layer of undeveloped land around a city, to stop sprawl outright, or build upward instead of outward.

For me, it’s economic instability and being unable to find a decent job. I’m busy learning in university, but I’m still not too sure if I’ll be ready in the real world. Less personally, it would be uncontrolled, rampant automation. It might make parts of our lives easier, but if we let it go out of hand, millions of people may go jobless when they’re replaced by automatons and we have an economic crisis on our hands.

• Brohoof 2