Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology Have You Ever Had A Spontaneous Windows 10 Upgrade?

Cirrus.

(edited)

So... my computer decided to spontaneously upgrade to Windows 10 at the WORST POSSIBLE MOMENT.

I made a quick video on my YouTube prior to this, but I figured it would make a good topic to discuss here too.

All I wonder about Microsoft is WHAT WERE THEY THINKING!?

post-24370-0-53871200-1466292509_thumb.jpg

All in all I DON'T have an issue with Windows 10. My issue is with the way Microsoft went about dealing with it.

I'm going to install it on my other computer (currently running windows 8.1) a little before the deadline, but I've been too busy to deal with it PROPERLY. The laptop has a windows 7 image and bundled software that I don't want to lose. The restore Image is particularly convenient.

Have any of you guys had annoying problems from this?

Edited by Cirrus.
  • Brohoof 3

@@Cirrus.

Just so you are aware, I have gone ahead an altered the title of this topic to give it more specific context.

Thanks!

(edited)

Microsoft. They just have a very aggressive push for everybody to install Windows 10. That is literally it.

If you don't want windows to bother you anymore, I would recommend uninstalling the update. No, not the update for Windows 10. The update for the updater and installer for Windows 10. And then turn off updates altogether. It might make your computer vulnerable to any zero day exploits, but hey, Microsoft isn't going to suddenly come out of nowhere and kick your work out the window.

Edited by AzureNightLight

Nope, this never happened to me. I reserved my free upgrade, but cancelled it when I started dual-booting my Windows 8.1 OS with the Windows 10 Insider builds.

If anypony else here is worried about this, google a program called "Never10." It disables the upgrade and that nagging little icon in your system tray as well as those popups.

• Brohoof 1

I was kind of excited to upgrade. My roommate and I downloaded it as soon as we possibly could. I don't have too many issues with it, aside from certain older games not running well with the OS, but I had those same issues with Windows 8. Aside from that, I can't complain about Windows 10, but since I mainly use my computer for gaming, I don't utilize 90% of the new things they did to improve the 'user experience'.

Microsoft wants everyone on 10 as they are planning on developing things for Windows 10 specifically. Notably, they are trying to get Xbox games be developed in such a way so that they work for both Xbox and Windows 10. They probably have other things in the works besides that. I do not like the things they are doing to force people to upgrade though. Dismissing an upgrade window should not be considered consenting to the upgrade nor should forcing the user to dismiss or delay the upgrade every few days or so.

If you wish to stay on windows 7 I would recommend grabbing never10 to stop the upgrade from occurring. If the upgrade happens, you are able to revert it but only for the first few weeks I think.

• Brohoof 1

Some of my family almost got hit by it. I upgraded on my own because I wanted DX12 access for newer games. Honestly, games are the only thing Windows 10 is useful for. I've run every other function from spreadsheets to image manipulation on Linux and had a way better experience with it. Also, Win10 bites because it can auto-upgrade without properly handling hardware incompatibilities. I have a non-standard hardware setup so the upgrade bricked my machine first try (corrupted the BCD). Thankfully, I'm techy enough to have fixed it myself but it was a huge hassle.  :sunbutt:

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Eeyup. It happened to my brother's computer.

We were about to turn on a stream, when a Windows 10 notification popped up asking if we wanted to upgrade now or postpone until later (without an option to not upgrade at all). I selected "postpone until later". We left the room to get something to drink. Came back and the computer was upgrading to Windows 10! We ended up missing most of the basketball game we were trying to watch because there was no option to cancel the upgrade.

Edited by Rivendare
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

Some of my family almost got hit by it. I upgraded on my own because I wanted DX12 access for newer games. Honestly, games are the only thing Windows 10 is useful for. I've run every other function from spreadsheets to image manipulation on Linux and had a way better experience with it. Also, Win10 bites because it can auto-upgrade without properly handling hardware incompatibilities. I have a non-standard hardware setup so the upgrade bricked my machine first try (corrupted the BCD). Thankfully, I'm techy enough to have fixed it myself but it was a huge hassle.  :sunbutt:

This is what happened to the paint department setup at my work. There are two Win. 7 machines and one that still needs XP.for the unique hardware. The main computer upgraded overnight to Windows 10 and the paint department was dead in the water until I fixed it. We could have lost $100's  and possibly would have to have our tech guy come out- another expense. Thank goodness it happened on a Monday since I was in that day and fixed it.

Eeyup. It happened to my brother's computer.

We were about to turn on a stream, when a Windows 10 notification popped up asking if we wanted to upgrade now or postpone until later (without an option to not upgrade at all). I selected "postpone until later". We left the room to get something to drink. Came back and the computer was upgrading to Windows 10! We ended up missing most of the basketball game we were trying to watch because there was no option to cancel the upgrade.

I was working on Mortgage stuff and a Purchase offer/counteroffer on a house. I had to keep signing/ filling out stuff and then scan and make PDF's of stuff and then e-mail it because I was competing with other people to get a particular house that took almost a year to find. :confused::angry:

Kind of like a bidding war on eBay- with A LOT more work involved.

Yep.

My computer at work upgraded overnight and my boss ask me what happen, so I told him that Bill came by and dropped a little gift ;)

That's similar to what I said to my boss. ^_^

Edited by Cirrus.
  • Brohoof 2

I did at work. We had this one machine that was essentially "off the grid" which we used for some internal automated testing for a few software projects. We usually just left that box alone and just let it do some basic nightly tests on our software. One morning, we received no emails. This usually meant a power outage, but not this time; Microsoft decided to shove windows 10 on it.

In this case, it was just a test machine and we were able to revert it back pretty easily. In the past though, I have had these sorts of run ins with windows update and playing full screen games. It was one of those unannounced resets which lead to my departure to linux.

• Brohoof 1

Not really i built my pc a few months ago and also to make sure i got all the right parts for it so i domt run into any problems later XD its doing good so far a few hic ups here and there but everything else pretty good !

Any piece of software that does something to a computer, whether the user downloaded it or not, can be considered malware. Microsoft doing this with Win10 is the very definition of malware.

• Brohoof 3

Yikes. That's scary. I need Windows 7 for a microphone that I spent a small fortune on that doesn't even work on Windows 8. D:

I turned auto updates off, but now it's giving me a notification that I need to restart my computer for Windows updates. I hope that isn't Windows 10. I'm delaying it every time it pops up.

Fortunately not, when the "upgrade now" reminder first showeed up in my taskbar, I followed the steps and got rid of that nasty gwx thing to make sure no new OS is donloaded or installed unless i want it to. Since my laptop is already 5 years old and a lot of hardware is not even supplied with driver updates anymore, I simply don't dare upgrading. I am very content with my win7, but will most likely get a pre-installed win10 should I ever need a new laptop

I upgraded with the free upgrade they gave me and I have been enjoying it. It is a nice OS, nothing majorly mindblowing it I see where MS is going with it. I do think they shouldn't automatically upgrade people if they don't want it, it could be an issue with the automatic updater though. I would turn that feature off, I turned mine off a loooooong time ago. That thing can be so inconvenient.

My computer upgraded to Windows 10 a few months ago. I kept getting an update reminder and always declined. Then I went to sleep and the next morning my computer upgraded to Windows 10 on it's own. I've gotten used to using Windows 10, but it was surprising and a bit annoying that the upgrade had happened randomly on it's own.

It happened once, and considering I have a bad record with equipment from Microsoft I basically said "screw you" to my old computer and now I'm using my new iMac. The Mac works far better than Windows. I'm glad I changed it.

You didn't decide to install the spyware voluntarily, so it forced it upon you at a random time so you don't expect it.

Happened to me. I wiped my computer mid-install and installed 7 instead. I liked 7 better anyway.

Doesn't anyone else think it slightly suspect that a for profit company would give away a free operating system?

• Brohoof 1