Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do You Suffer from any Phobias? If so, Then How Does it Affect Your Life?

The Recherche

I have a fear of massages. i don't know why exactly. I've never had one, but I have friends who are massage therapists. And from what they have told me with certain practices, just dont want to experience it. Probably affects me by letting me keep body pains. lol

• Brohoof 1

I am kind of uncomfortable with being touched, mostly because I have sensitive skin, but mostly only with the members of my family for some reason. I don't think it is a phobia though.

Here are the phobias I think I have.

Acrophobia:

Fear of heights. This is actually a pretty common one. I know a lot of people who have it.

Arachnophobia:

I think I have this slightly, but not with small spiders. Only bigger ones, as they seem more dangerous. I'm not really that scared of scorpions though, I just give them distance and respect.

Nyctophobia or Scotophobia:

This is fear of the dark. I don't think it so much that I am afraid of the dark itself. You see, I actually have extremely sensitive hearing. In fact, it is so sensitive that on the hearing test, the lady who tested me didn't believe me when I said I could still hear the little beep, and she actually put 'didn't hear' when I actually did. Because of this, I have a naturally heightened sense of awareness, especially with sounds. When it is dark and quiet, my brain focuses even more on my very sensitive hearing, since I can't see well in the dark (I have very good eyesight, but darkness is darkness.), so if I hear any noise, I imagine some terrible thing chasing me or stalking me, or something along those lines. I have to have some sort of ambient noise while I am in bed because of this, and I take theanine supplements (an amino acid) to help myself relax and fall asleep better.

I probably would have been a good sentry for a native tribe. :D

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

I have Acrophobia, the fear of heights. Never really had to deal with it that much, but I get pretty uncomfortable when I see a person on something high like a roof or mountain.

Edited by Cash In
  • Brohoof 1

For common Phobias I have:

• Claustrophobia (Fear of Tight Spaces)
  • Arachnophobia (Fear of Spiders)
  • Acrophobia (Fear of Heights)

I do also have a very rare phobia that is really strange but I've had it since I was young. It's called Koumpounophobia and it's a fear of buttons.. (Yea I know.. strange) :please:

It's not like such a bad phobia that if I see a button, I'll scream or something. It's just that I really don't like being around them or having them in my sight, they're very "ewww" to me. They mainly just put me off a ton, to points where I can't eat if for example someone is wearing a shirt (with buttons) in front of me. I really don't know why I have it but I've had it since I was about 8 or even younger. 

It is the reason I shall NEVER watch Coraline! 

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

Im not sure if these two would count, but whenever theres a thunderstorm, i frantically check back and forth between the windows and watch the weather report on TV, and i have this habit of covering my ears in the spring/summer because the buzzing of insects when they fly past my ears bothers me. i think it has something to do with my autism. its also a more serious issue, since i dont even bother to go outside much unless its fall or winter.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

i have Acrophobia,which is a fear of heights, but it only affects me when i'm somewhere really high(lets say, the balcony of the 7th floor of a building e.g. ),not when i'm up on a tree or smt

Edited by Lord Valtasar
  • Brohoof 1

I hate loud noises. I also don't like dealing with spiders. I can't even look at pics of them without wanting to freak out. >< Oh, and I have a fear of wasps, bees and hornets due to a bad experience when I was younger. I'm terrified of needles and IVs as well. Hospitals also terrify me in general because of the horrible stigmas for my kind of needs.

• Brohoof 1

fear of failure, being forgotten and wasps and ants.

The wasps one does actually ruin my day =( i will have a full on screaming panic if i see one.

Ants just set off anxiety. i once accidently lay on a nest in our lawn when i was younger and got covered/bitten and since then ive had a fear of them.

Failure affects me pretty much everyday as does the fear of being forgotten. I just break down and cry, scream, get angry when these take effect. A lot of it is triggered by envy I must admit. =( i know its really bad. Im one of those who cry when I get angry as a defence.

• Brohoof 1

Acrophobia: I had it bad as a child/teenager. I could get on the roof of my house, but getting down was always difficult. Looking down from the roof wasn't great, but if I made the mistake of looking up, vertigo would kick in. I've gotten much better but I still don't ride anything at theme parks and such. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

multiple OCD-induced phobias including fear/disgust of certain numbers, places, objects and words. It doesn't impair me necessarily, but it does affect my mental health since these phobias are always present 

Edited by Olly
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Bees :confused: I f*cking HATE them. Got stung by one as a child and if I hear ANY of them buzz past me, it makes me freak out. The same goes for Wasps. I'm afraid of them :scoots:

Edited by SolarFlare13
  • Brohoof 2

Arachnophobia is a big one for me. If it's a jumping spider or a small garden spider sitting in it's web and I don't have to touch them it's OK but other than that they freak me out and I'll try to kill them but it's even worst when it's big spider, a spider that I know is venomous or one that I don't know but looks like it could be as venomous. For this fear I blame on watching the movie "Arachnophobia" when I was 6. Watching these little spiders killing humans the second they bite them really freaked me out.

Another although I think this one is more so a sub conscious thing is Lilapsophobia. Nothing really happens when I see signs of a tornado or hear the watches and warnings but I have had a couple of bad dreams where tornadoes are running through out all over the entire state of Colorado and I'm stuck in the middle of it,  looking for safe place to ride out the storm. 

• Brohoof 1

I am terrified of heights. To the point that in the military I told my LPO he could write me up and send it up the chain if he wanted. But I was not going up the mast no matter what he had to say. Lucky for me Doc told him that such a phobia would make his order null and that it was risky to force me. 

• Brohoof 2

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

This is a pretty strange one, but I'm severely phobic of pregnancy/having kids (Tokophobia). Even just seeing pictures of people my age who are pregnant will spin me out immensely and subconciously believe that I am too, and in turn start planning how to tell my parents...even though there's absolutely no way for me to be (as I'm a lesbian, anyway).

But sometimes it gets to the point where even being NEAR a guy will scare me, and I'll abandon science and believe I'm somehow pregnant from them...it really hinders me, and I really don't know how to get over it. Every time it flares up I feel disgusting about myself...sorry for the rant:(

• 2 months later...

I have two main phobias one is heights and the other is I guess you could call it health anxiety. Now the health anxiety has caused some major hiccups in my life but I like think I am slowly getting over it. As for my fear of heights that's probably the one that I could never get over.

Trypophobia, fear of tiny holes.  Nothing serious I can’t stand the sight of it. 

anthropophobia, fear of people/ socializing. It’s not serious or anything but I just always prefer to be left alone. I found talking through emails or text more comfortable. I’m only nervous around people I don’t know like sweaty hands and all. Also I’m also a bit of hot head so when someone irritates me, I show it and then later regret it for making a scene. Overall I hate interacting with others. But my jobs requires it so I have to deal with it.