Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread Your favourite pony and why?

Twilight Sparkle ✨

Who is the Best pony  

211 users have voted

1. 1. Favorite Main Pony

• Applejack
    • Pinkie Pie
    • Rainbow Dash
    • Fluttershy
    • Twilight Sparkle
    • Rarity
    • Starlight Glimmer
  2. 2. Favorite Secondary Character

• Apple Bloom
    • Scootaloo
    • Sweetie Belle
    • Big Macintosh
    • Cheerilee
    • Braeburn
    • Granny Smith
    • Hoity Toity
    • Mayor
    • Photo Finish
    • Sapphire Shores
    • Spitfire
    • Soarin'
    • Pegasus Royal Guard
    • Princess Celestia
    • Princess Luna
    • Trixie
    • Prince Blueblood
    • Other
    • Princess Cadance
    • Shining Armor
    • Maud Pie
    • Marble Pie
    • Limestone Pie
    • Cranky Doodle
    • Matilda
    • Discord (as a non-villain)
    • Flurry Hearts
    • Sunburst
    • Prince Rutherford
    • Coco Pommel
    • Pear Butter
    • Bright Mac
    • Grand Pear
    • Autumn Blaze
  3. 3. Favorite Tertiary Background Character

• Derpy Hooves
    • DJ P0N3
    • Diamond Tiara
    • Silver Spoon
    • Snips
    • Snails
    • Twist
    • Pipsqueak
    • Bon Bon
    • Lyra
    • Doctor Whooves
    • Octavia
    • Hayseed
    • Lotus
    • Aloe
    • Berry Punch
    • Seafoam
    • Ace
    • CHUNKY!!!
    • Other
  4. 4. Favorite Student Six Character

• Smolder
    • Sandbar
    • Yona
    • Ocellus
    • Gallus
    • Silver Stream

(edited)

I voted for the last one, cuz I don't think there is a "best" pony in this show, every character has it's charm (except Snips and Snails...) that is one of the reasons why I like this show, there are many characters I can like so I can't chose a best one.

Edited by Kerberossz

(edited)

If by changing opinions you mean fandom opinion shifts, it could be handy to ask us when we started on the show too (and so when we started viewing them as best pony). For me it was July last year. Picked RD for reasons relating to my ideals. RD's still best mane 6 as far as I'm concerned (but Daring Do beats her).

But I guess if what you mean is how people's opinions might change over the course of the episodes/seasons, that doesn't matter.

Edited by Daring_Do
  • Brohoof 1

My initial favourite was Rainbow Dash, because... let's face it, she's awesome.  Bold colour scheme, bold character traits, what's not to like.  This was however before I actually got into the show properly.

My favourite now is Luna, as I've actually watched the program and seen her story progress.  The princess, consumed by jealousy because she felt shunned by all the ponies sleeping through the night she created not fully understanding her own gifts.  As the series ran she gradually accepted her role as we saw in 'Luna Eclipsed' and then later embraced it, as we saw in the span of episodes where she entered the dreams of the CMC to help them resolve the issues that plagued their sleep.

That sort of character development, and the (as yet mostly unexplored) depth of her past is what appeals to me in a character and I don't feel that any of the others have that level of both development and potential for so much more to come (hopefully).

• Brohoof 2

Hi,

This thread appears to be discussing MLP:FiM in some way, shape or form. As such, it has been sentenced to Show Discussion.

As for me, my first favorite pony was Applejack. I loved her design and voice (still do), and since I wasn't too familiar with everyone's personalities, design was all I had to go by in deciding who I liked the most at the beginning. Applejack's colors go great with each other, she's an earth pony (my favorite), and I like her hat.

Unfortunately, she's my least favorite of the Mane 6 now, but I still like her. I just like the others a bit more. :(

• Brohoof 2

Rainbow dash was my favorite all the way through season 1, but since season 2, Fluttershy was and still is the most appealing to me, and other ones that I didn't like all that much like Rarity grew on me a little too

• Brohoof 1

Twilight. Here is the proof from my Welcome Plaza post

post-25990-0-48110200-1438287802_thumb.jpg

I usually gravitate to the 'book nerd' archetype. Twilight was my default starting point. Eventually I can to appreciate another character. Rares <3

post-25990-0-93298300-1438287923_thumb.png

Sorry Twilight!

Twilight was my first favorite pony because I could relate with her. She was in the process of learning about strengthening her friendships and dealing with anxiety, which I was (and am still to a degree) going through now. Lesson Zero was especially relatable because as a student, I obsess over deadlines, which stress me out to no end. I'm still a student, so I began to relate less with her once she became a princess and graduated from Celestia's tutelage. That's when my favorite pony became Sunset Shimmer. I love how she wasn't always aligned with good, which gives her a certain dimension I didn't see in Twilight. Yes, I believe Twilight's character has gone through a development as well, but Sunsets just felt so much deeper to me since she had to deal with making a huge mistake and then earning people's trust while also learning about the magic of friendship. 

• Brohoof 2

I think it was common among the fandom to like Rainbow Dash or Twilight the best when they first watched the show because they defy the girly stereotype and have plenty of screentime that seem to be likeable. I was no exception. I liked RD because she was my favorite in the previous generation, and since I liked the animation as well, her colors stuck out to me the most. Now it's Applejack with Pinkie and Twi tied for a close second, but Rainbow is still on the list. It's something how things change so quickly. ^o^

• Brohoof 3

At the very beginning, I considered Rainbow Dash as the best pony, albeit for really shallow reasons. When I first started watching the show, it was back in the days of season 1, and I was still getting used to what seemed like a really "girly" series with a ton of cute characters. I usually gravitate towards characters that are slightly more on the tomboyish side, so it was easy to like Rainbow at first. But after I watched about half of the season and my first impressions had changed, I noticed all of the characters were really great in their own way, and that this wasn't a just another sappy, shallow little girl's show, and the more I got used to the show and grew to love it, the more I realized that it was Applejack, what with her country charms, willingness to get down and dirty, and her all-around strong and dependable nature that struck a chord with me whereas Rainbow's ego and immaturity quickly rendered her less relatable for me, so it wasn't long before AJ dethroned Dashie as best pony and never looked back. Although I've become rather enamored with Sunset Shimmer as of late, it's unlikely she'll ever edge out my dear AJ either. Apple pony is just too special to me. <3

• Brohoof 2

I'd say Pinkie Pie was my first favorite, just because she had a strong presence as a character in Season 2, which was where I was introduced. Possibly the most on point her character's ever been, though of course that may be nostalgia kicking in. It was the Season 3 relative gutting of Pinkie's character that brought Rarity into the position she holds up to today, along with a slight maturing of my tastes in humor and characterization.

• Brohoof 1

Flutters was my favorite before I even considered myself a brony or watched the show. I'm a big softie for the adorable and well, I don't think I need to justify further. I was also able to identify with her while I was watching the first season.

When I first watched the show, I had no preference because I was in the room where my cousins were watching MLP, but I had no will to leave the couch, and the screen was all I could look at. When my cousins told me what pony I was most like, they said I was most like Twi, so I developed a preference for Twi as best pony. I was a noob, so I said that I wanted to be a pony and not a unicorn. Yes, this was when Twi was a unicorn. I wasn't stuck with Twi as best pony though, I then developed a preference for Fluttershy and then Twilight again.

• Brohoof 1

Rainbow dash. :)

I first got into the show from watching Sonic rainboom, and dash was my favorite in Season one; brash, but still caring about others, and with a really cool asthetic and feel to her.
Since then, I've continued to love her, with little to no changes. In fact, I've actually GROWN to like her more due to episodes like Hurricane fluttershy, as I feel she really starts to shine when they give her a chance to be a leader, as she works very well in that role.

I used to like twilight BIGTIME in s1 and S2, but have since grown to dislike her due to shifts in focus in the show and characterization for her, with her only being good on VERY rare occasions now, such as in Testing testing, 123.

Rarity I started out disliking, but she's grown to be one of my favorites as well, only below dash.

• Brohoof 3

If by changing opinions you mean fandom opinion shifts, it could be handy to ask us when we started on the show too (and so when we started viewing them as best pony). For me it was July last year. Picked RD for reasons relating to my ideals. RD's still best mane 6 as far as I'm concerned (but Daring Do beats her).

But I guess if what you mean is how people's opinions might change over the course of the episodes/seasons, that doesn't matter.

It's more about the latter than the former.

The time you became a brony (and also your age) would be interesting to know, and might show some interesting trends, but the point of this poll is to see whether individual fans' opinions change as they progress through the seasons of MLP rather than to see if the fandom as a whole is changing.

The first time I discovered MLP:FiM, Fluttershy and Daring Do were my favourite ponies. I loved the former for her relatable personality, while I loved the latter for being a badass.

Who would've thought that Rainbow Dash would eventually become my favourite pony? Who seemingly enough is the most popular choice in the poll. :P

• Brohoof 2

Considering that it was a clip of Pinkie Pie (when she lost it during Party of One) that got me curious to watch an episode originally, I think that she was my favourite pony for a fair while (her randomness and light hearted attitude to life, besides the afore mentioned episode :lol:) were always appealing character traits :)

Dashie, of course. She's cute, she's awesome. She is very similar to me. And from the picture of cute rainbow pony began my love to whole franchise. 

• Brohoof 1

Hmmm. I have to say, I kind of think it would have been nice to have had a second Poll on this thread that asked "Who's your favorite pony NOW?"

Possibly. I decided not to because we've already got a load of "best pony" poll results which have got more data than my poll would be likely to, so I wouldn't need to ask the question myself.

Possibly. I decided not to because we've already got a load of "best pony" poll results which have got more data than my poll would be likely to, so I wouldn't need to ask the question myself.

well, its just the Big best pony poll that's stickied isn't really a good source of information.

Specifically, it has lots and lots of "Garbage" data. It has lots of votes from the early days of the fandom, and when people get a new favorite pony, they generally don't bother to come and change it or take it out of that poll, yeah? Similiarly, there's lots of people who voted in that poll who aren't still a part of the brony fandom.

So the poll on the front page, while having a vast amount of data, is actually FAR less useful as a tool than if you were to make a poll asking "who's your favorite pony" right now, since your poll would only reflect the current state of views, while the stickied poll is muddled with the past state of things. (which is probably why Dash is number 1 on the Stickied poll; While dash is my favorite pony by far, and she's popular, she was only definitively number one in polls during the early days of the fandom)

• Brohoof 1