Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming What difficulty do you usually start at?

Evilshy

I start at normal, and very rarely go either higher or lower than that. I feel like "normal" difficulty is more of what the core game experience is supposed to be like, and adding or subtracting any difficulty from the game is just flavorless fluff.

• Brohoof 1

I normally give a shot on at least Hard difficulty, specially if it is a game or franchise I am already familiar with (Fire Emblem, which I haven't played in Normal difficulty unless it was forced on me since at least the mid 2000s; or Devil May Cry, due to my sheer familiarity with the difficulty design by now). Otherwise, I will suck my pride and play on normal difficulty, but 99% of the time I'm still too prideful to lower the difficulty, so I end up stumbling a lot :P 

• Brohoof 1

Easy difficulty, unless it's a series I'm used to or if I've played the game previously. But I never really play in hard difficulty to be honest. Not my thing.

I always play easy because I'm almost always playing the game to have fun, not to be challenged. Some sections of games I play are hard enough on Easy so I'd rather not test my luck on other modes :dry:. Minecraft is a bit different; if I'm playing alone it's peaceful (I don't like being jumpscared), but if I'm on LAN it's easy or normal.

00 Agent  :ph3ar:

I usually start a new game on easy mode to get a feel for it. If it's a game that's similar to others I've played, I'll often start on normal difficulty.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Whatever is called "normal" or "default" on a game. Sometimes it is the easiest mode, sometimes it is not. My self-respect prevents me from playing on "easy", but I dislike games that cause frustration (I will not play "Dark Souls" or "Getting Over It with Bennett Foddy" because those games are essentially advertised as "Pentium100 won't like it").

• Brohoof 1

Kinda depends. Some games have really fun hard modes like Terraria or Bayonetta, and some have really bad ones like Skyrim or Nier: Automata.

I usually start on normal and try harder modes after my first playthrough, but having fun is my only priority.

• Brohoof 2

It all depends on the game. If it’s an entirely new game to me, I will start on an easier setting and work my way up when I feel I can. If it’s a game I have played tons before but is a new installment, I’ll start off on a more difficult level.

• Brohoof 1

Normal difficulty . Of course, sometimes normal difficulty is more difficult or easier than expected. But I try to trust the developers to correctly name the difficulty levels.

Normal difficulty, because Easy is too unfulfilling and Hard reminds me that I need to git gud

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

I generally start on the hard skill. So Ultra Violence for Doom, Come Get Some on Duke Nukem 3D, Who Wants Wang on Shadow Warrior. The only exception is Blood, where I play Lightly Broiled which is the medium, because it's a little harder than Shadow Warrior's Hardest, and Doom's UV. Blood is no joke.

• Brohoof 1

I try to push myself to start on the highest difficulty, I just started playing halo Master chief collection for pc. And I’m trying to do an all legendary run for the games. However if it’s a game where you can chill and have fun with the story, usually normal.

• 3 years later...

Depends on the game really. Usually, I'll start on normal, but if it's a genre I'm not very good at, I'll start on easy. I generally only pick the hard difficulty if I'm already good at the game or have played it enough. :grin:

• Brohoof 1