Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you like/dislike your old content?

Sovereign Leader Rarity

It's been 7 months since I've joined this online community and since then, I've attempted to do my very best in delivering humorous, serious or perhaps even thought provoking content alongside my fellow Bronies and Pegasisters. However, despite the fact that 7 months, in reality, really isn't a very long time, I have reflected on my past performance on this website and I have noticed something.

My older content sucks.

Obviously this happens to many of us, who weren't sure how to approach/interact with our fellow members at the time of our user's conception. My content ( I began in January ) from the start of my profile to around mid-March is extremely cringey, forced, spam-like and poorly/awkwardly written and, compared to my newer content, I feel that it does not stack up in the slightest. This topic is for everyone else who feels the same way to speak out and express their own feelings on the matter.

So I ask this question, are you embarrassed of your older content? If so/if not, why? 

• Brohoof 3

I've had my moments... There were my half assed base drawn projects, and my base drawn projects that actually looked nice. There were some of the most questionable decisions I've made hosting/partaking in RPs and greatest moments while doing so. And there was the random questions I'd ask in general discussion that were either super weird, or very interesting.

Its really down the middle where I stand with this.

• Brohoof 2

well when i see something i posted i can really see how far  i've come since then and i think that is pretty interesting since at present you dont really notice as much of a change but when you see how you were back then it feels interesting though im not one to browse through my all old posts  but they do pop up once in a while somewhere.

• Brohoof 1

My current content is the same as it was when I first joined these forums so I don't dislike anything I've said. Granted, I do wish that I said a little bit more than I did as I like to express my thoughts greatly, but sometimes I just can't compel myself to doing that.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

In the beginning when I joined the forums on the 13th of August last year my content is what I could consider extremely idiotic compered to my current standards. Like simply I didn't know the rules and I almost got into serious trouble a couple of times back then but still those where massive mistakes I made and I've learned really well from them. It was just a case of trial and error for me to learn about how the community worked back then. :)  

Edited by Techno Universal
  • Brohoof 2

I think a lot of my older content shows how much I've matured. There are a lot of old posts of mine that I simply cannot agree with or in rare instances make me cringe. Though overall I can agree with most of my older self. 

• Brohoof 2

It's a mixed bag. Sometimes I dislike my old stuff, sometimes I take some pride in stating my opinion. 

People change. I think if you loved absolutely everything that came out of your mouth you wouldn't have learned anything about yourself.

• Brohoof 2

Considering i've only been on this site since November I think its only been a 7 months so i dont consider myself too much of a goober back them. Not to mention i've only been engaged in message boards since 2013 and im 31, I like to think i've handled being mature online pretty well.

• Brohoof 1

I dislike it. I've been here since mid 2013, and I can't look back at my old self because I cringe way too much.

Actually I'm more pleased with my older posts than my newer ones. When I first started out here I guess I was trying harder and taking more time to word my posts just right, to watch my grammar and to make my posts mean something. Nowadays I get lazy and often post when I'm dead-tired and I just riff with whatever ambles through my mind, so a lot of my more recent posts seem disjointed, stupid, meaningless and lame. Kinda like this one. :rarity:

• Brohoof 1

All my old posts on every forum I'm on are bound to make me feel ashamed about them at some point. The feeling isn't present while I'm making the posts but it comes afterwards and starts to haunt me.

(edited)

I've not really grown or changed much in the past few years. I'm still the overanalytical antisocial crazy idiot I used to be. 

I feel happy reading through my old posts. It reminds of the friends I've met and the experiences  I've had on this little corner of the internet. Not all times were good and I've had mistakes and fights but I cherish all of them good or bad. 

Edited by Vulcan
  • Brohoof 1

I may have changed a bit, especially since I realized my love of foxes. :please: I might post more often on here, though I really don't know if I changed that much. Other than my username and fox love, I was pretty much the same.

FB_IMG_1479349234790.thumb.jpg.5335afb8b4e6dfaefd9b98d165826e2c.jpg

• Brohoof 1

Most of my awkward internet phase was back in the mid 2000s when I was a teenager. By the time I came here, that was long over. Thank goodness for everyone. I was very immature and also never knew when to shut my mouth (or I guess I should say "when to not type/post what I was thinking"?).

There is still quite a difference between me when I joined here and now, though. Of course it's been nearly six years.

The most embarrassing things I would have ever posted here were when I was giving into the peer pressure and looking down upon the past generations, even though I had absolutely no reason to do so myself and did not have even the slightest bit of a negative opinion toward the earlier generations prior to getting into FiM.

There's also the fact that I didn't get over my ex until last year and must have posted a hundred times about it on here from 2013-early 2016... And lastly the fact that I was a Christian for the first couple of months I joined this forum. That would be strange to see, although I was always a "progressive Christian", it's not like I was hateful. It just wasn't a deep belief for me, I was only in denial.

Yes and no ... at the same time. 

I believe in basically same political and ideological views I did back in 2014. I am still extremely optimistic and empathy driven. I can be salty when I feel so inclined, and without guilt. I usually don't care about grammar or structure, but can spin a well crafted sentence or thought. I have no shame when being dorky with dumb dad jokes and memes. I am not any wiser, nor am I any more worn, than I was when I joined. So I do not feel a pang of embarrassment over how I have come across to people in my past content. But, there are still posts that bring about feelings of regret and melancholy. 

My posts are not always islands of content though. They reference people, events, places that have been or continue to be a part of my life. They are reminders of absences ... and bitter moments. Those posts of mine ...  I tend to not like as much. 

I neither like or dislike anything I have ever said or done. I am the same person i have always been, for better or worse. No reason to feel shame or embarrassment for anything I have posted.

We all learn and grow as we progress through life. Anyone that has come across older content of theirs, whether that be childhood stories/drawings/etc. or earlier versions of more professional, current work will have moments of thinking about how much they've grown.

I simply see moments like this as a sign of how far I've come from the person I was. I don't necessarily see it as a bad thing, although today's world makes it easier than ever to immortalize immature thoughts and work, haha!

When I look back in whom I am, I see a lot of mistakes, regrets and embarrassments. I was new in the fandom and I believe I bitten off more than I can chew. It was my newly acquired ambition for the show that gave me a place here, a home amongst others that share the same feeling I was. That was a year ago when that all happened.  I was so much into it but little by little a part of me feel disconnected and by the time I've realized, I wasn't whom I thought I would be. I did things I didn't do normally, I feel like winning the attention of the world but that lead me to feeling bitterness and jealousy towards others. I was a selfish jerk, bad friend, a fraud. No wonder why I don't have friends anymore from the old days. 

I look back at what and to whom I wrote and I look at myself, "Is this really me?" Seeing the old posts, statuses, replies and pretty much everything I hold attached to in my time here really puzzled me. This bothers me more than it should and I'm regretting some of the things I should of not said or things I should said. Mistakes and short-sightedness may of affected me and others so that's why I leave sometimes. My time here is now a fragmentation of the person I once was, reminded constantly from the sheer joy in the moments I once held dear to. I only seek to share my thoughts around now or as a passerby. I'm no longer transparent. This makes my identity, my reputation and my place here. 

• Brohoof 1